CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Bill Houghton

Profile:
New bar now or wait till old one bends?

Talked with Kris at Rogue yesterday about ordering bumper plates. I have a cheap used set of wts. (I think from Dunhams orig.). Would you guys order a new bar now or use the low end bar and see if it holds up?

Bill
Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Shawn Casey

Profile:
Re: New bar now or wait till old one bends?

A good bar is the best piece of equipment you buy. If you can buy it, go for it. Crappy bars don't spin well. This can tear up your hands and hold back your olift progress. I say go for it.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Brad Thompson

Profile:

What he said.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Tyler Smith

Profile:

Yeah, what he said.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Jack Ho

Profile:

if you can afford it, grab a bar for the O lifts and use your old bar for bench, squats etc. can't wait till my bumpers and rogue bar arrive!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I'm not sure if this would apply here, but here's some reasoning I use when I consider buying replacement equipment. Don't wait for the old bar to bend before getting the new bar, that way you'll have 2 usable bars, one of which will be a backup.

Here's an example from my personal experience playing hockey. If I notice considerable wear on my skates, I won't run them into the ground before getting a new pair.

Consider the case where I decide not to buy new skates, but instead wait until I destroy my old ones and then absolutely NEED new skates. In that case if I'm wearing beat up skates that break/fail in the middle of a game, I'll have ZERO skates to use and I'll have to deal with having to get a replacement pair before my next game. Forget about getting a good deal or sale price, I'll be desperate to get anything at any price, assuming there's any availability in the first place.

Now consider the other case where I buy and start using a new pair of skates and hold onto my old ones while they're still usable. If my new pair of skates break/fail, I can resort to using my old skates, which haven't been run into the ground yet, as backup until I get my new skates repaired or replaced.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Another thing, a good bar is never going to break(we hope not), it'll give you the best bang for your buck trainingwise, and you'll either retire it, or pass it to your grandkids. To me, that's worth paying 500-600 for a training bar and there are some great multi use bars out there that spin for days for around half that.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Ryan Wells

Profile:

If you are going to drop the bar often, you don't want to use one that uses a bolt to hold the sleeves on. It won't take it. Get a good bar that uses snap rings to hold the sleeves on. One with brass bushings or needle bearings.

I like Jack Ho's advice.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
A good bar is the best piece of equipment you buy. If you can buy it, go for it. Crappy bars don't spin well. This can tear up your hands and hold back your olift progress. I say go for it.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
John Lovins

Profile:

Rogue is my box I go to, and have purchased a bumper set along with a rogue bar for home use.. Love them both!! Get the bar!!