CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
Moody after heavy lifts

When I really go heavy like the last 5x5 Back Squats, or similar - DLs for instance I find that an hour or two later, and lasting for 4 hours or so I am not only very tired, but terribly irritable. My family of course hates when I do heavy days.

How can I avoid this? My nutrition is good, but should I be using a specific recovery food? Back-off sets? Napping is not an option unfortunately.

Metcon doesn't seem to have this effect.

Jason
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Nick Lavato

Profile:
Re: Moody after heavy lifts

I have no answer for you, but I get the same way whether its going heavy or hard and fast on a metcon....my wife hates it. I'm not really mean or anything, I'm just in a terrible mood for a few hours.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

what do you eat or drink right after the heavy workouts?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Low norepinephrine (along with serotonin) has something to do with moodiness (from what I've read at least... google it if you wish). So.. a lot of it is produced during sympathetic nervous system activation especially during heavy DLs. Afterwards, parasympathetic kicks it and norepi decays with half life. If it gets too depressed then you get moody.

Pretty much something along the lines of this... except it affects you differently than these people. wfs

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42381
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Jason Naubur

Profile:

Wow, very cool info Steven. I did google it, and from the descriptions I think I have elevated norepinephrine levels. Low levels relate to depression, but elevated levels create a feeling of hostility and a sense of being 'on edge'. On edge would be an apt description of how I feel.

After a few hours of being no fun to be around it disappears and my mood returns to normal or better.

The body is an amazing thing.

Here is an interesting article on it:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/recovery.html (WFS)

FTA:
"...norepinephrine is primarily secreted by nerve cells in the sympathetic nervous system, with the effect of elevating heart rate and boosting the rate of breakdown of glycogen and fat for energy. It also enhances cardiac contractility, allowing the heart to pump more blood per beat. Thus, it would be logical to assume that a rise in norepinephrine levels would be advantageous - a hoped-for outcome during recovery.

Surprisingly, however, the reverse is true. Research has shown that increases in plasma norepinephrine levels are actually linked with staleness in athletes. For example, in a fascinating six-month study carried out with 14 elite swimmers, researchers found that the three athletes who exhibited signs of overtraining (based on performance decrements and high, prolonged levels of fatigue) had significantly higher levels of norepinephrine from the mid-season onwards(3).

While this seems like a paradox, remember that increases in norepinephrine could be viewed as a neat adaptation to too much training - the body's courageous attempt to cope with an excessive workload."

And from here http://www.enotalone.com/article/4117.html (WFS)

"Moderately high levels of norepinephrine ... physical symptoms may include rapid fatigue, muscle tension/cramps, irritability, and a sense of being on edge. Almost all anxiety disorders involve norepinephrine elevations."

Jason
Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

It can also be caused by low blood sugar. I'm usually pretty cranky after a workout, especially if it has been four hours or more since my last meal. I find that it helps if I either eat two hours before working out or fairly soon after working out.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Justin Lascek

Profile:

That's unfortunate, bro. I feel manly after living heavy (which I am doing right now, thus I am currently manly).
Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I remember after hard and heavy strength based workouts I could be a bear to be around. I remember being somewhat concerned about this when I started strength training heavily in gymnastics because I knew I would probably be even more non-social than I tended to be.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Brad Thompson

Profile:

I actually feel high after heavy lifting. Like it cleans my body.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Jason: nice follow up research.

I didn't even think about elevated levels of norepi. That's probably it instead of the the depressed levels of norepi.

If you're training on edge of your recovery ability norepi is more likely to stay elevated after a workout which equals your moodiness and tiredness.

Yeah, generally almost everything with training relates back to either sympathetic/parasympathetic and the hormones they control.. so keep that in mind.