CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #21
Tish Traster

Profile:
Re: Fear, Doubt, Ego...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Jurging View Post
I am financing this entire project on a CC......ughhh and I am scared to death about people not coming and paying.
Hi Toby...ditto on the CC....three of them here! I did have a PT business, Ormond Beach Functional Fitness, up and running and a little cash in the bank. I'm holding on to the cash as long as I can, in case I have an emergency, like.........buying groceries or something.

Yes, let's follow each others progress and keep in touch.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #22
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Tish--
Congrats on your new CF gym!
I opened my my "huge" 800 sq ft CF gym a little over 3 years ago.
We have PTs and OTs working in the back, and we train in the front.
I am about 200 yards away from a big globo gym on one side and another one is about 2 or so miles away on the other side.
Some might have thought this was a bad move, but it actually has been helpful.
Their clients often find their way to my CF gym.
Commitment to excellence doesn't depend on the size of your gym or how much equipment you have.
Help your people get the results they are after, and you'll do fine!
Best of success to you!

Last edited by Frank DiMeo; 12-02-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #23
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Yep, I'm with all of you new affiliates too. I finalized my affiliation process just last week. I've been training 3 paying people and my husband and myself out of our garage for the past month. I signed a lease for about 900sf yesterday, and will move in next week.

I can't go in to debt with this, period. I started with about $7000, and that's it. I'm already down to $1900, and am planning on holding on to that for dear life ... literally!

I'm opening in the bottom floor of a tai kwon do studio, and I think that there will be a lot of cross over. The owner is excited with our "pairing." For marketing, I'm planning on getting some car magnets with our logo ... relatively inexpensive, and gets spread all over the place.

Best of luck to everyone! I think that being set up for the New Year's rush will help all of our business out!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
Patrick Neill

Profile:

I have to say, this stuff is very cool! In reading the posts, the support in this community is evident and awesome!

Tish- if you weren't afraid, I would call you a liar!! Trust your instincts and pursue your passions. You will succeed!

John and Andy- awesome posts. I hope to one day reach the same level of success!

I truly believe it is a privilege to be a member of this community. It is a good feeling, knowing that I am not in this alone! Whether we work out of our garage, or own our own facility, we all share common fears and goals. I think that is cool!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #25
Ginger Calem

Profile:

We've used our cc too, but we believe in this so much, we took the risk. That said, with the exception of our t-shirt/hat order we're about to do, we promised 'no more money going out until some comes in'.

One thing we plan to do to tap into the holiday buying season is to offer a Gift Certificate for a block of training, say 3 months or a month, etc., and hope to get people to buy that as Christmas gifts. I have a friend who mentioned she'd rather give her husband personal training than more shirts and gadgets that he doesn't need. You know, "give the gift of fitness...a gift that will last a lifetime" I thought I'd make up an email flier and spread it around hoping the ease of doing this will beat the busy malls, etc. Then I thought I'd follow that up with a New Years flier about starting the year off right with CrossFit. We spend all season buying and wrapping presents for others. After it's all said and done, I want to remind people it's time to give yourself a gift!

Oh, and every adult on our Christmas list is getting a CrossFit Georgetown t-shirt so most of our t-shirt order is my Christmas shopping.

I hope it generates some clients so we can get this ball rolling.

Ginger
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #26
Tish Traster

Profile:

Ginger, you have some great ideas. I hoping that with the economy being what it is....that people will start being less materialistic and start investing their money in quality things, like themselves, being fit and healthy. Things money can't really buy. I mean really, that Louis Vuitton doesn't mean a thing if your dead and buried
Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #27
Peter Evans

Profile:
Awesome post!

Tish - thank you for starting this one - I've just recently affiliated and I'm in the process of generating more clients to move out of the double garage into a box.

I think its super natural to have those emotions, I keep looking to my goal of building a crossfit community here in Christchurch, New Zealand anytime I have a negative voice or doubts.

Keep up the awesome work - get about town talking to other complimentary services - massage - Physio's- and martial arts centres - once they realise you're smart and passionate you'll have people wanting to help you build a client base left, right and centre!

Looking forward to hearing about your journey as it happens!

Pete
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #28
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Tish,

Looks like you are getting a lot of supportive feedback, but I'll throw you some more! We affiliated at the beginning of September and started with 4 clients that we had been training in the parks. Nothing moved for about 2 months, then the msn crossfit article came out and we signed 5 more. Client attendance and participation is awesome, and I believe that is crucial in developing word of mouth. We have accepted that our ability to be patient is vital to our success. We have kept our overhead low, so that we can ride out the slow start. Keep the passion alive and treat each client as if he/she is your only client!

best wishes,
tom
Old 12-03-2008, 02:23 AM   #29
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
treat each client as if he/she is your only client!
I could not agree with that more. I try to remind my self that each day. Also, keep treating your first client like your first client. I remember my enthusiasm when I signed my first paying client. I treated her like she was "my baby". It was very personal for me and I wanted her to succeed and meet her fitness goals. I studied, planned her workouts and tried very hard.

She worked out hard and was excited to try something new. She lost inches and became stronger very quickly. She's 59! Her friends started to notice and ask questions. And wha-la.....walking advertisement.

That first client is what grew my current business. She talked and talked about me . She referred one client to me and they referred the next and so on. I train with her two days a week and still feel like she's "my baby". I won't tell her that though. I have thanked her for the referrals via free training sessions and she seems to be very happy with that.

Again Thanks all for the support. (I love these little do-hicky guys, sorry if I go overboard on them)