CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Zach Krogdahl

Profile:
Crossfit Gym Quality

In the past two weeks I have gone around and visited three different crossfit gyms. At all of them I had good workouts and met good people but what shocked me was how different each gym was. Only one of the three had showers and only two had all the equipment that I would think would be necessary to complete all posted workouts.

My question is wouldnt some basic square foot, equipment, and ammenity requirements increase crossfit gym marketability? Where is the crossfit gym quality control? I know it has been said that crossfit is not a franchise and never will be but how else can crossfit ensure that all gyms are properly portraying the crossfit name?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Gym Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Krogdahl View Post
In the past two weeks I have gone around and visited three different crossfit gyms. At all of them I had good workouts and met good people but what shocked me was how different each gym was. Only one of the three had showers and only two had all the equipment that I would think would be necessary to complete all posted workouts.

My question is wouldnt some basic square foot, equipment, and ammenity requirements increase crossfit gym marketability? Where is the crossfit gym quality control? I know it has been said that crossfit is not a franchise and never will be but how else can crossfit ensure that all gyms are properly portraying the crossfit name?
I see what you are saying and where you are headed with this, but that is not the Affiliate model. actually - there is no Affiliate "model", per se.

If CrossFit Affiliates were corporate owned or franchises then there could be uniformity in equipment and amenities - but they are not under that type of structure.

Most of the CF Boxes I have been to - and I've been to many - do not have showers. They all had enough equipment to get the WOD done - whatever the WOD was. If they do not have "item X" that might be used at another place, or at HQ, they have "item Y" they use as a substitute.

Personally - I really enjoy going to different Affiliates to see how they do things and to meet the trainers and members. I am glad they all are not the same. IMHO - it would feel a little creepy if they were all the same.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Neil Khant

Profile:

Quote:
At all of them I had good workouts and met good people but what shocked me was how different each gym was.
Zach,

Good workouts and good people. Doesn't sound like you missed out on anything.

The Crossfit model can be scaled too. What I mean by this is that it is great to have all the equipment to be able to do anything that pops up. But what fun is that. The ability to substitute and still get the great workout is what we are all about. The globo gyms have a list of need to haves and their workouts are terrible, a good crossfit gym needs a good trainer and you will get a good workout. Look at those that get their workouts from the park...or overseas on tour. We do what we can with what we have.

If you got good workout, then those are affiliates that should survive and maybe they will get all the toys later...or they may feel they have all they need.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Marketability and efficacy are not the same, nor does the amount of equipment correlate well with the quality of the gym.

Martial arts studios, yoga studios, dance studios, soccer pitches - there are many fitness-oriented places that that do not provide showers.

I first started training people with only 100 sq. feet of one side of my garage and an Eleiko barbell set. Didn't even have a place for pullups for the longest time. We managed just fine. Won a bunch of medals and were in much better shape than when we had Globo Gym memberships with 10,000 sq. feet of space packed with equipment.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Eric Lester

Profile:

A good amount of affiliates start or thrive in a garage. Space and equipment doesn't get more limited than this. You do what you can.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/09/...ept-02-cfj.tpl (w/f/s)
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
David Chow

Profile:

That's the whole appeal of CrossFit. I started 2 years ago out of my garage and continue to do so to this day. Do I have everything, absolutely not, but I have enough and the rest I scrounge, borrow or make.

The whole purpose of CrossFit is to prepare yourself for whatever life throws at you and in many instances life doesn't give you much to work with so you have to improvise. That's what CrossFit means to me.

If every affiliate looks the same and provides the same what makes CF different from "blank" globo-gym? As said previously, it's the attitude of the trainers and the people that make each affiliate. Hell, for the first year all I had in my 200 sq/ft box were some rocks, sandbags, a tire and a well used wheel barrow.

CF is about adapting, improvising and overcoming.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Zach Krogdahl

Profile:

I am not disputing the fact that you can get in shape with nothing. I agree with this premise. That was not the point of my question. My point was that allowing any space to have the crossfit name opens the door to poor quality gyms and could therefore hinder crossfit as a whole. Crossfit should, in my opinion, have some way to monitor gym quality.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

You might find this thread relevant to the current discussion:
Afiliates who do not use Barbells? (wfs)
Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
I am not disputing the fact that you can get in shape with nothing. I agree with this premise. That was not the point of my question. My point was that allowing any space to have the crossfit name opens the door to poor quality gyms and could therefore hinder crossfit as a whole. Crossfit should, in my opinion, have some way to monitor gym quality.
Not unless they're a franchise, which according to Glassman they'll never be.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
Not unless they're a franchise, which according to Glassman they'll never be.
Thank God! We don't need another Ballys or Golds that's for sure