CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Question Sumo Rack vs Portable Power Rack

I searched the forum but can't find any information on these racks. Does anyone have one of these? If so, any comments regarding your experience with them.

Sumo Rack
Portable Power Rack

I want to use them for bench presses and squats. I am using what is supposed to be the dining area of my apartment as a gym, so I don't have much space. I am a 5'2" female, so height is not a problem (one of those rare occasions being short is an advantage). I work out alone, so safety is an issue. I already have a separate pull up bar so that is not a concern. In a nutshell, space, portability, safety, versatility and cost are my primary concerns.

Can anyone think of why one would be better than the other?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Brian Doll

Profile:
Re: Sumo Rack vs Portable Power Rack

I've been looking into similar racks myself lately. Comparing the two, it seems like the Sumo rack would be more accommodating for use as a squat stand. The portable rack doesn't look like it extends up high enough. You do have height on your side, it would seem, for that power rack to potentially work, but being less adjustable as a squat rack, I'd lean more toward the Sumo rack.

I've been looking at this open rack:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/96031.html

It could work for the purposes you describe, although it's arguably less safe than either of your choices since it lacks that permanent low cross bar that may come in handy when doing bench presses.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Brian:

Thank you for the input.

I agree, and I am leaning more towards the sumo rack. The sumo rack is just a bit more money than the portable taking into account that shipping is free for the sumo. Also, the sumo seems sturdier and has got 2 good reviews on Amazon.

Unfortunately, I can't find any reviews for the portable rack, but I just love the size of the portable, it seems so, well, portable

Thanks for the suggestion on the other rack. I checked it out, but as you said, I would feel a bit more secure for now with the low bar for bench presses.

Ganine
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Michael Manisca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganine Vanalst View Post

I want to use them for bench presses and squats.

While the mini power rack might be good for bench press.. at a 41" height.. i dont see how youre going to use it for squats unless youre starting at the bottom of the squat...

The sumo power rack has a height of 66".. and you being 5'2.. it should be tall enough for you to actually start a squat from the standing position.

Now for my .02
Just be aware that NYBB stuff is extremely poorly made. I have one of their full size racks. It will work, but there is much better stuff out there.

My suggestion? If you dont have the money for a full power rack and money or room is an issue.. buy some squat stands and saw horses. The stands would allow you to start from standing, and the saw horses would be in place for additional safety. The saved money could be further spend on some bumper plates or a nice bar.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Michael:

Good points. I read mention of the quality of NYBB being less than desirable and it is something I have gone back and forth on, but unfortunately they are the only one that make power racks with the dimensions I am looking for (that I have found so far).

I've seen saw horses recommended, but the idea of saw horses seems unstable to me. My concerns are that the weight bar could roll off the ends or one of the saw horses could tip over if not positioned perfectly. Savings potential is definately appealing though.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Ganine
Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Alfie Fidelino

Profile:

I would definitely go with the sumo rack. That's the kind I use at home and I love it. I use it for doing squats.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Hi Alfie:

Thanks...I ordered the sumo rack Monday and it should be here Friday.

Glad to hear your happy with yours.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Ganine
Old 09-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
Ross Petrie

Profile:

Good job on the sume rack.

I was going to say that if you have to start in a squatting position to pick up the weights that is one thing. But then that limits you in having to squat to put them back. Especially if you do a heavy or long set and try to put them back when you are fatiqued or strained. Have fun with it.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

Thanks Ross
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Matin Lowery

Profile:

Ganine, any update on the rack? Eyeing the same one myself.