CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Fred Fialco

Profile:  
High-fat Atkins diet damages blood vessels: study

Is there any accountability in the media?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071106/...i5SemJ6x_VJRIF
Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Re: High-fat Atkins diet damages blood vessels: study

NO.

I often suggest to my patients to do exactly the opposite nutrition-wise of what they hear from the majority of media.

Now that the "does the evidence really point to fat intake causing heart disease?" question is being raised and the answer is a resounding no, those who refuse to believe it and/or have a financial stake in the matter (ie. all of the food manufacturers) will be getting articles published as a last-ditch effort to save the sinking theory.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Fred Fialco

Profile:  

I'm not a scientist - but what is the significance of an 18 person sample that's followed over the course of 1 month? Why did this get any airtime at all?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:

I believe the significance of it is that it made an article that you took the time to read (and the ads), post on a message board (so that others could read it and also look at ads), and continue driving the capitalist machine!

Fred, I hope you understand that my comment is not meant to be negative to you directly in any way. Zany "studies" like that, while useless they may be, definitely get reading time from folks on both sides when they are published in the mass media. Reading time gets people looking at advertising, the real reason for media existence these days.

For all we know, that author is a shill for any pro-vegetarian group or food manufacturer and was paid well for writing it--or worse, it was a canned article pened by someone else that the author from Yahoo! just put their name on.

I will say that a 50% fat diet (or was it 60%?) made up of the wrong fats could be extremely PRO-inflammatory.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Adam K. Ratmoko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Fialco View Post
I'm not a scientist - but what is the significance of an 18 person sample that's followed over the course of 1 month? Why did this get any airtime at all?
Absolutely none. Sample size and study length are the first 2 factors that should be considered when designing a study. In this case neither are large enough to overcome even a small margin of error, patient history, etc.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Of course it went badly . . . Knowing how many people treat Atkins, they probably ate nothing but bacon, crappy beef, and butter.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
Chris Lampe

Profile:

From the article:

Most studies have shown that diets that stress vegetables, low-fat sources of protein such as beans and legumes, and whole grains provide the best long-term weight loss.

Certainly sounds like a subtle pro-vegetarian article to me.

I wonder if the author is the same Maggie Fox who is a Senior Regional Representative of the Sierra Club?

Last edited by Chris Lampe; 11-07-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:

love it - dr mike's post yesterday set the record straight on that "study":

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Fred Fialco

Profile:  

No offense taken at all! I'm just so fed up with all of the misleading crap that the popular media spews to the masses They don't have any idea of the impact they may have on people's lives and health in the case of "Health" related articles. For example, look at what's happened with the stents and ICDs.

Eva - thanks for the link, it's awesome
Old 11-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Jason Fryer

Profile:

Wow, I was just going to post a link to Dr. Mike's response to that "study" Eva, glad you beat me to it.

By the way, my friend's cousin's nephew's girlfriend's sister's babysitter said that widespread adoption of the Paleo Diet will cause an increase in the number of animal deaths worldwide. I hope the news reports on it soon so we can help stop that from happening...