CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Another ME Blackbox question

Whatsup guys, hows it going? Anyway, I used to do crossfit awhile back and really enjoyed it, but for one reason or another I switched programs to a more MMA focused one (but I recently dropped MMA due to time constraints). I'm 17, and probably going to start CF again. Now, to the question:

How do you guys feel about adding DL's into the blackbox instead of hang cleans (as per the original program)? The first movement in the rotation is power cleans, which I am a big fan of. However, I have goals to compete in powerlifting soon and was planning on swapping hang cleans for Deads. I know alot of guys don't like to squat and DL heavy in the same week as it taxes the CNS alot and works almost all of the same muscle groups to an extent. Thoughts?

I plan on keeping SOHP though instead of bench, as I feel it is a much more functional movement and I have noticed a strong corellation between my SOHP and Bench.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Re: Another ME Blackbox question

Replacing the power clean with the deadlift would be fine, though I wouldn't drop the cleans entirely, as some speed work on the pull will help your powerlifting. Also keep in mind that you will probably have to bench at least a couple of times in order to be competitive in the lift. I wouldn't get too stuck on absolutely having or not having any one lift included. Rotate and keep it fresh, this will keep you motivated and help avoid overuse injuries.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #3
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Well, I was planning on keeping the power cleans and swapping the hang cleans for Deadlifts. Or in your opinion should I swap the PC's for DL's? Yeah, I'll probably rotate the SOHP and Bench occasionaly, along with other lifts like you recommend.

Also, do I do the WOD, regardless of if it is a strength workout, or do I focus on the metcon workouts? Thats something I didn't see clarified in the articles I read, and was curious about it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Starting Strength style:

Day 1
3x5 Back Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
Dips

Day 2
3x5 Back Squat (or Front Squat)
3x5 Overhead Press
5x3 Power Clean
Pull-Ups
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:

I plan on using the starting strength version, as I have always heard excellent things about the program but never used it. Two questions:

1) What kind of set/rep scheme do I use on the pullups and dips?

2) In "mixed mode", do I only do metcon workouts or do I do the WOD regardless of what type of workout it is?
Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kirkpatrick View Post
1) What kind of set/rep scheme do I use on the pullups and dips?
Dips: 2x8-12, add weight after 12
Pull-Ups: 3x8-12, add weight after 12

BTW, this isn't part of the original SS template, but based on what many people have used to great success.

Quote:
2) In "mixed mode", do I only do metcon workouts or do I do the WOD regardless of what type of workout it is?
I think it's up to you, based on your goals. I'd stay a cycle behind so you can pick and choose the best match to suit your needs. If your focus is on strength choose the two most strength oriented WOD's, if you want more metcon, choose metcon. What you'd need to avoid is overlap of exercises; ie. don't do the same movement two days in a row, but also exercise caution when doing two pulling/pushing movements two days in a row, for example HSPU's and OH Presses, Push-Ups and Bench Press... even Bench Press and OH Press might be taxing your triceps, so just be mindful of that and adapt as recovery dictates.

Last edited by Tim Donahey; 08-23-2007 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Dips: 2x8-12, add weight after 12
Pull-Ups: 3x8-12, add weight after 12

BTW, this isn't part of the original SS template, but based on what many people have used to great success.

I think it's up to you, based on your goals. I'd stay a cycle behind so you can pick and choose the best match to suit your needs. If your focus is on strength choose the two most strength oriented WOD's, if you want more metcon, choose metcon. What you'd need to avoid is overlap of exercises; ie. don't do the same movement two days in a row, but also exercise caution when doing two pulling/pushing movements two days in a row, for example HSPU's and OH Presses, Push-Ups and Bench Press... even Bench Press and OH Press might be taxing your triceps, so just be mindful of that and adapt as recovery dictates.
Thanks for the answers Tim, I appreciate it.

My plan was to do the SS for strength, and do the WOD's for Metcon. I'm not sure if that is a popular method or not, but I think that is the best route for me. I am probably about to start rock climbing, so I'll need to have a certain balance between strength and conditioning. Do you think that will work?

Sorry for all the questions, this is just a completely new methodology to me, and I'm obviously very unfamiliar with it (outside of the articles in the performance menu).
Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the answers Tim, I appreciate it.

My plan was to do the SS for strength, and do the WOD's for Metcon. I'm not sure if that is a popular method or not, but I think that is the best route for me. I am probably about to start rock climbing, so I'll need to have a certain balance between strength and conditioning. Do you think that will work?

Sorry for all the questions, this is just a completely new methodology to me, and I'm obviously very unfamiliar with it (outside of the articles in the performance menu).
You'll have exceptional results with that.

Good luck and get strong!