CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Bill Russell

Profile:
I'm almost finished making two plyo boxes. The plans using plywood and angle cuts did not fit my skill level so I tried this idea.

Two stackable boxes, 12" high with 24"x24" tops, $16.00 each. All I need to do is cut and attach the mats and come up with a way to secure the boxes when stacked. These babies are rock solid.

Total time to assemble less than 90 minutes, with a good portion of time scratching my head!!

If anyone is intersted I can give more details.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/36721.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/36722.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/36723.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/36724.jpg

(Message edited by Otis My Man on February 12, 2007)
Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Bill,

I have something similar and used dowels cut to about 3" long, mated to holes drilled in the top of one box and the bottom of the other. It holds very securely yet allows for quick removal of the dowels for single box use. I used one dowel per corner and have had no issues. David
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I did something similar. Using 2x24" long 2X4s, 2x21" long 2x4s, and a 2 foot square 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood I built a 2' square 4" high box. Build 5 of these and you have a 20" high box. I have 6. Not only could you adjust box height by 4" either way, you could use the boxes for box pulls, box squats. you could stand on one or twos and deadlift...cheap and easy to build. I used 3 inch screw nails to put them together.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Looks good, Bill.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Jason Steele

Profile:
That's an excellent idea Larry. I'm heading off to get the lumber at lunch!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Bill Russell

Profile:
My plan is to make two more using 2x4s and two more with 2x8s. Total cost under $100 that will give me lots of different height combinations.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
I KNEW I was saving that 8'x24" strip of 1/2" plywood for SOMETHING!!!!!!

Thanks, Bill!!

:banana:
Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Scott Carter

Profile:
Bill,

Can you list the dimensions and type of all of the pieces used?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Kulsoom Ahmed

Profile:
Re: Home made plyo boxes - easy and affordable

If you still have the details on these, please let me know. Like the numbers, sizes of wood used, rough layout. This will be easier than putting together the angled box.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
Bill Russell

Profile:
Re: Home made plyo boxes - easy and affordable

Larry basically covered it pretty well in one paragraph earlier in this thread. Seveal people have asked or PMed me, so I'll give more detail for those interested.

I don't have my old notes but I can give a brief description of how I plan to make my next pair. I would use all the same size pieces to make the base instead of using 2x4's as shown in the pictures posted 2/12/07.

I'm a hack of a handyman, so cut me some slack on my terms and instructions. These boxes are rock solid, cheap and fairly easy to make.

You'll need a drill, 3/16" drill bit and a phillips screwdriver bit to fit your drill. If you don't have a saw, have them do the cuts at HD, first cut is free per piece, then I think 25 cents each.

1. Go to Home Depot and grab a 24"x48" piece of 3/4" MDF, about $6-$7. Have them cut it in half to give you two 24"x24" pieces. They don't have to cut them exactly in half, close enough is good enough. These pieces are your two box tops.

2. Next, grab two 8 foot lengths of 2x6'ss, 2x8's, 2x10's or 2x12's, depending on what height(s) you want to make.

My suggestion is to use one 2x12 and one 2x8. You'll end up with one 8 inch high box and one 12 inch high box. You can stack them to make a 20" box.

Then if you make another pair, you will end up with four boxes total, two 8" and two 12" high. All for under $75 for all four. You can stack in different combinations to make 16", 24", 28" and so on, up to 40".

******* Be careful when stacking these boxes because they can slide around depending on what you cover the tops with. MDF is pretty smooth, so don't use it if you are not going to cover the top with matting of some sort. Use rough plywood instead. David Sailor had a good idea of using dowels (2/12/07)

The following steps will make one 8" box, using one of two 24'x24" pieces of mdf and one 8 foot length of 2x8. Repeat using whatever size 2x? you choose for the 2nd box.

3. Have the lumber person cut your 2x8 into two 24" pieces and two 20" pieces. Discard the left over piece.

4. Grab a box of 3" screws and bottle of wood glue. They also sell 24"x60" rubber-backed doorway mats for about 10 bucks. Grab one of these if you need something to cover the top of the boxes. 24" rubber puzzle mats also work well if you have them.

BTW-Don't forget to pay for all this stuff you're grabbing before you leave!

5. Take the two 24" pieces of 2x8 and set them on a flat work surface, on the long edge, parallel to each other, 20 inches apart. Set the two 20" pieces parallel to each other inside the ends of the 24" pieces, forming a square base for your box.

Use 3 or 4 screws at each joint to fasten the base pieces together. I drill 3/16th pilot holes to make it easier to get the screws started. I also use glue at each joint. Some people don't think it's necessary. It's worth the extra two bucks, use it. Now you have a solid square base for your box, 7 1/4" high.

6. Put down a bead of glue all around the top of the 2x8 base. Set the 24"x24" mdf on top of the base and line it up square. You'll have some overhang on two sides- nice handles for lifting/carrying. Drill one pilot hole near each corner and screw the top down. Make sure everything stays lined up as you tighten each screw. Start in one corner, then do the opposite corner. Once you get these first two screws in, the top won't shift around any longer. Now you can drill all the remaining pilot holes and screw in all the screws.

7. If you bought the 24"x60" floor mat, cut it to fit and screw or tack into the underside of the overhanging mdf. Take a look at the pictures I have in the earlier post if this does not make sense to you.

There you have it. The second box should take you about 1/2 the time of the first one. Both should take you less time than it took for me to write this out today! Good Luck!