CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I have read some places that once you get to a certain weight/bf% that you should then increase your fat blocks each day, upwards of 4-5x. Doesn't this change the macronutrient ratio and abolish the zone principles?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
It does change the macros, but Zone principles are reduction of bodyfat, preservation of lean mass and control of insulin. That continues to happen once you reach the point of increasing fat.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Corey Duvall

Profile:
So the 40/30/30 is just a stepping stone? I thought perhaps I had read that once you get into the zone that you are already eating for what body you should be... and you will gradually reach that point and have no need to change your diet. Is this a misunderstanding on my point, or is adding the fat an adaptation to the diet necessary for the highly active individuals like we here at crossfit are?

(Message edited by Duvall on August 07, 2007)
Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
You last line hits the nail on the head. Look at Sears' exercise recommendations; walking, lifting soup cans, etc.

For higher-level athletes, you have to buffer the calories a bit to avoid losing lean mass and decreasing performance. Since adding extra carbs and protein is somewhat unnecessary (without a decent change in LBM) adding fat (which is hormonally neutral) is the best method.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
When you start the Zone, the ratios really aren't 40C:30P:30F anyway... That's only your daily intake. You're also burning a considerable amount of adipose tissue, which accounts for a lot of calories. You just can't tell how many calories it is...