CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:
Re: 1st Elements Class hit me like a truck 4 non athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Yeo View Post
She reassured me that what I was going through is not uncommon.
Yeah, your experience was not uncommon for people...in the hands of an incompetent fitness trainer. To your trainer's "credit," the CF Trainer's Manual doesn't give guidance for dealing with special populations, so if a deconditioned person walks into the box, the only course of action for most CF trainers is "try your best and we'll scale from there," which flies in direct opposition to training practices in the fitness industry.

Be glad that you're alive and try a fitness challenge program at a nearby globogym before trying another CF WOD. No pun intended, but crawl before you can walk, instead of listening to someone who is trying to get you to run before you can walk. In your fitness journey, it's best to "crawl" voluntarily as you build up your fitness capacity. Slow and steady will get you healthy. Best of luck!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #42
Anne Dayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Yeo View Post
I can walk up and down the stairs! Painfully, but now my quads work. I do not have to hold on to something to throw myself up the stairs. Yesterday was very painful but today the pain is in my knees now. I feel now how I expected to feel after the first day. So, I am in pain and sore but I have use of my legs now I am back to the gym on Monday. Scared but going back.
Thanks for all your support.
Cara - I am curious to hear if you went back yesterday and what the outcome was. If you did return, did the trainer(s) address your issues and concerns. Do you feel they were really listening to you? If the answer is anything but an emphatic yes, then I would suggest (and I think many would agree) that you need to find another gym or option for physical exercise. There have been lots of options and suggestions posted, and I think the underlying thread of all of them is that we don't want you to give up on your goal and hope of becoming more healthy.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #43
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
Yeah, your experience was not uncommon for people...in the hands of an incompetent fitness trainer. To your trainer's "credit," the CF Trainer's Manual doesn't give guidance for dealing with special populations, so if a deconditioned person walks into the box, the only course of action for most CF trainers is "try your best and we'll scale from there," which flies in direct opposition to training practices in the fitness industry.

Be glad that you're alive and try a fitness challenge program at a nearby globogym before trying another CF WOD. No pun intended, but crawl before you can walk, instead of listening to someone who is trying to get you to run before you can walk. In your fitness journey, it's best to "crawl" voluntarily as you build up your fitness capacity. Slow and steady will get you healthy. Best of luck!
"Be glad to be alive..."
That's a little dramatic for 2 sets of 15 reps of air squats isn't it? Understand that OP was extremely sore, to the point of being injured even, but lucky to be alive? That was a less-than-beginner workout. What trainer in the world could have foreseen that any person walking in off the street would have such a severe reaction. She wasn't asked to do "Murph" on the first day.
OP, I hope I don't come across as minimizing your pain and discomfort, I'm not. But the tone this thread has taken, to the point of feeling lucky to be alive is a little much. I hope this bad experience doesn't turn you away from one of the best decisions you've ever made. Good luck, and keep us updated!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #44
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
"Be glad to be alive..."
That's a little dramatic for 2 sets of 15 reps of air squats isn't it? Understand that OP was extremely sore, to the point of being injured even, but lucky to be alive? That was a less-than-beginner workout. What trainer in the world could have foreseen that any person walking in off the street would have such a severe reaction. She wasn't asked to do "Murph" on the first day.
OP, I hope I don't come across as minimizing your pain and discomfort, I'm not. But the tone this thread has taken, to the point of feeling lucky to be alive is a little much. I hope this bad experience doesn't turn you away from one of the best decisions you've ever made. Good luck, and keep us updated!
Thank you.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #45
Chris Peterson

Profile:

I really hope you stick with it.

Here's a positive story from someone at my box who was in a similar situation just to use as a reference point:

WFS http://www.crossfitkop.com/downloads...onialsteph.pdf

Part of CF is definitely finding your limits. I'm about 7 months in and there's definitely been times where I went to high on the weight and regretted it. Just for the beginning, I'd err on the side of caution and go with a lighter weight/1/2WOD or something like that.

It really seems like your trainer needs to scale better for you.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #46
Laurion Burchall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
"Be glad to be alive..."
That's a little dramatic for 2 sets of 15 reps of air squats isn't it?
That was a less-than-beginner workout. What trainer in the world could have foreseen that any person walking in off the street would have such a severe reaction.
It isn't that hard to predict. In the first post the poster says she is 277# and "never exercised my entire life, obese, sedentary". Being heavier means she has a lot more weight to move in the squat, which makes it extremely challenging, even if unweighted (She is also tall, which means moving the weight through a larger distance when doing a full squat) Basic considerations for a trainer should include "How much weight am I asking my client to move? Is that amount of weight appropriate for them at this time?". The client's bodyweight has to be included in those calculations.

Look at it another way. If another woman said they weighed 142#, never exercised before and their first Crossfit workout included 2 sets of 15 rep squats with a 135# barbell we would be completely unsurprised when the poor person was crippled for days afterwards.

An "infinitely scalable" exercise system shouldn't even have the concept of 'less-than-beginner' workouts. A trainer should be able keep scaling up or down until they find a level that will help, not destroy their clients.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #47
Kevin Simons

Profile:

That is a great post, Laurion.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #48
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurion Burchall View Post
It isn't that hard to predict. In the first post the poster says she is 277# and "never exercised my entire life, obese, sedentary". Being heavier means she has a lot more weight to move in the squat, which makes it extremely challenging, even if unweighted (She is also tall, which means moving the weight through a larger distance when doing a full squat) Basic considerations for a trainer should include "How much weight am I asking my client to move? Is that amount of weight appropriate for them at this time?". The client's bodyweight has to be included in those calculations.

Look at it another way. If another woman said they weighed 142#, never exercised before and their first Crossfit workout included 2 sets of 15 rep squats with a 135# barbell we would be completely unsurprised when the poor person was crippled for days afterwards.

An "infinitely scalable" exercise system shouldn't even have the concept of 'less-than-beginner' workouts. A trainer should be able keep scaling up or down until they find a level that will help, not destroy their clients.
Good post, and I agree with your logic. But, that falls far, far short of her being "lucky to be alive." I still don't believe that anyone could have anticipated her being sore to that extreme from 30 squats. Sore, yes. Crippled, no.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #49
Dean Okazaki

Profile:

How do you get that sore without it showing up during the WOD? That's the part I don't understand. I think the trainer should have been able to ID that she was pushing too far...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #50
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Okazaki View Post
How do you get that sore without it showing up during the WOD? That's the part I don't understand. I think the trainer should have been able to ID that she was pushing too far...
Endorphins are powerful. I haven't been quite that sore from a WOD, but I've definitely reached the point where stairs were something to avoid, and without having had any particular problems during the workout.

Katherine