CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #4311
Shawn Michels

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

I typically don't post on this thread but I found this to be a bit off.

After my workout I head into the showers and notice an awe-full lot of chatter. I figure it's just two guys talking.

Then I realize that there is actually one person speaking. First I think, it's just a crazy guy talking to himself (not too uncommon in my gym). However there were pauses, breaks, and a general flow to the conversation. As it turns out this particular gentlemen had decided to bring his cell phone into the shower and was in the middle of a conversation.

I mean really.. are you that important that you can't wait until after your shower to have a conversation?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #4312
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Was it a camera phone? Some gyms have very strict "you have a camera phone out in the locker you are banned for life" policies.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #4313
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Ok, I keep thinking I've seen it all but then someone comes along and surprises me. I'm studying abroad in Rome right now, which might be the reason why I've never seen this before, but whatever. Anyway, I see this woman (around 45-50 years old) put a mat down on the floor, like the one you do situps on so you don't bruise your butt. She then puts a bosu ball on top of it, and then procedes to sit on it and bounce up and down, all the while reading a magazine. She did this for like 15 minutes, it was the weirdest thing...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #4314
Dom Tartaglia

Profile:

So I do most of my workouts at the local Globo and have noticed this new 'box' appear. The place looks nice with some really nice equipment, rings, pull up racks etc. so I just assumed it was a sort of CF gym, maybe weren't affiliates or whatever but mimicking. I have been meaning to stop by and check it out but never find a time when they are open. Until last night by pure chance.
I walked in and asked them a little bit about the program and was informed that it was a quick workout based on functional movement. That's a start in the right direction. As the conversation progressed the owner made it clear that this was pretty much a Crossfit copy cat and so I asked him how much Crossfit they did in there and he said, "Well none. We do workouts similar to Crossfit but with more exercise science." "Not to say anything bad about Crossfit but this is a little bit more scientific and better."
He asked me if I would like to join and get two free workouts and an unlimited visit plan for $240 a month and I declined with the caveat that I might come back and workout with him on one of my Crossfit rest days. Besides I just bought my home gym, why would I pay to go workout with a quack like him?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #4315
Shawn Michels

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Was it a camera phone? Some gyms have very strict "you have a camera phone out in the locker you are banned for life" policies.
not sure.... I had no desire to get close enough to investigate
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #4316
Briggs Willoughby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Tartaglia View Post
. As the conversation progressed the owner made it clear that this was pretty much a Crossfit copy cat and so I asked him how much Crossfit they did in there and he said, "Well none. We do workouts similar to Crossfit but with more exercise science." "Not to say anything bad about Crossfit but this is a little bit more scientific and better."
He asked me if I would like to join and get two free workouts and an unlimited visit plan for $240 a month and I declined with the caveat that I might come back and workout with him on one of my Crossfit rest days. Besides I just bought my home gym, why would I pay to go workout with a quack like him?
Why do you consider him a quack? It seems there is no evidence either way, at least based on what you have presented here.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #4317
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs Willoughby View Post
Why do you consider him a quack? It seems there is no evidence either way, at least based on what you have presented here.

He's charging $240 a month. Would you pay that?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #4318
Laurion Burchall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
He's charging $240 a month. Would you pay that?
This might be the wrong forum to ask people if they will pay $240/month for workout classes.

In the Seattle area Crossfit Gyms are charging from $160/month (e.g. Urban Crossfit) to $199/month (StoneWay Crossfit) or even $205/month (Xplore Cossfit). Northwest Crossfit's Endurance Running program is $249/month, but seems to offer more classes. Crossfit gyms in New York can be more expensive: Crossfit Metropolis is $260/month and Crossfit Virtuosity is $300/month.

So, while on the high end, $240/month for quick workouts based on functional movements is in line with what Crossfit gyms are charging and I assume they are getting clients...
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #4319
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

New split today traps/forearms superset and calves
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #4320
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Tartaglia View Post
So I do most of my workouts at the local Globo and have noticed this new 'box' appear. The place looks nice with some really nice equipment, rings, pull up racks etc. so I just assumed it was a sort of CF gym, maybe weren't affiliates or whatever but mimicking. I have been meaning to stop by and check it out but never find a time when they are open. Until last night by pure chance.
I walked in and asked them a little bit about the program and was informed that it was a quick workout based on functional movement. That's a start in the right direction. As the conversation progressed the owner made it clear that this was pretty much a Crossfit copy cat and so I asked him how much Crossfit they did in there and he said, "Well none. We do workouts similar to Crossfit but with more exercise science." "Not to say anything bad about Crossfit but this is a little bit more scientific and better."
Ugh, we had a news segment on a new type of gym in a nearby town. The news casters kept calling it crossfit but the owner kept saying it was an intense workout focusing on functional movement and all that stuff. It was a CF copy cat. It was also really slow movements and a lot of yoga type stuff thrown in.
I was sitting there thinking "I hope no one sees this and thinks that's what I do, that doesnt look hard".
Maybe it was bad filming and editing?