CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Hydration / Gastrolyte Tablets / Excess Urination / Exercise

I previously had a bad case of food poisoning which totally wrecked my body for days, it was the worst i'd ever encountered without being too vulgar....

When capable i went to the chemist and bought some Gastrolyte Tabs which were designed for people who have suffered a severe crash in fluids or were recovering from intense exercise. They are an electrolyte replacement effervescent tablet much like Gatorade just without (im told) all the bad sugars of Gatorade....

After a day of taking the prescribed dosage I awoke the next day feeling better than I had in years! Movement was fluid, body wasnt aching and after 2 years of CF an BJJ i'd forgotten how good this had felt!

Moving on....

I train a hybrid of CF Football and BJJ with 2 rest day's P/week... We are coming into Summer and have resumed BJJ with a Gi in prep for comp and the sweat is just pouring out, Not to mention the CF style WOD's which have a knack for raising the body temp.....

Diet's in check with clean, Paleo type Zone portion's. Fresh fruit, vegies, meat, chicken, sugar from coffee in the morning only etc. Fish oil for anti inflamm...
I drink 2-3L of water at work and another 1L minimum when training and am urinating regularly, clearly, all's good.....

However, with all this water, urinating, exercise and humidity my body must be losing something because it sure feels like it... Waking tired, lethargic an sore generally which comes with the territory of my program and lifestyle I assume.

So,
I have resumed taking 1 Gastrolyte tablet after BJJ specifically and have noticed improvement in the morning and general well being during the day...

And,

After the background info my question (s) would be

*Does anyone feel they are actually losing nutrients from their body by urinating 6 times a day?
*The body must be losing something during intense sessions of CF or a Gi roll in BJJ
*Has anyone tried a form of nutrient replacement without the sugars associated with Gatorade?
*(Last one sounds bad) I dont know what the genetic makeup of these tabs are (the chemist assures me they suit my CF diet ideals) and they seem effective, any thoughts?

Apologies for the long topic, a search didnt provide me any answers.....

Regards
Mike
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Hydration / Gastrolyte Tablets / Excess Urination / Exercise

1. Of course you are
2. Yep
3. I haven't personally, but it's a good idea to replace electrolytes... no matter how cliche those commercials get
4. Uh, look it up on the internet. Generally if you know the name you can figure out what's in it.

Also, it may just be a simple case of significant overreaching or something similar so.. when in doubt back off the high volume and see if that helps.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Mike Shaw

Profile:

Info of makeup
Sodium chloride 117mg, potassium chloride 186mg, anhydrous citric acid 384mg, sodium bicarbonate 336mg, glucose 1.62g.

Good, Bad, Ugly?
Alternate solutions if the last 2?

Cheers
M.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shaw View Post
Info of makeup
Sodium chloride 117mg, potassium chloride 186mg, anhydrous citric acid 384mg, sodium bicarbonate 336mg, glucose 1.62g.

Good, Bad, Ugly?
Alternate solutions if the last 2?

Cheers
M.
Seems like a standard electrolyte replacement ... pedialyte is very similar.
whats the concern?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shaw View Post
After the background info my question (s) would be

*Does anyone feel they are actually losing nutrients from their body by urinating 6 times a day?
*The body must be losing something during intense sessions of CF or a Gi roll in BJJ
*Has anyone tried a form of nutrient replacement without the sugars associated with Gatorade?
*(Last one sounds bad) I dont know what the genetic makeup of these tabs are (the chemist assures me they suit my CF diet ideals) and they seem effective, any thoughts?
Apologies for the long topic, a search didnt provide me any answers.....
Regards
Mike
Yes if your not replacing volume in the first place.. you become dehydrated which has its hosts of problems. If you are replacing volume too quickly, you end up diluting electrolytes and swelling blood cells.. you have problems.
You need to stay in balance... your drinking constantly and squirting constantly you need to either eat something like fruit or a meal to at least get something back in. Gatorade's problem was, the sugar that was in it... yes it had electrolytes that were replacing loss elements but the sugar causes you to rapidly spike your blood sugar and the body's first reaction is to squirt the sugar out of you. Back to square one if you were in that grey zone.

Second question, your losing electrolytes all the time, hence eating helps keep the balance.. fruit is optimal.

third... your gastrolyte is fine.. mix with water or 3 parts water to one part juice your golden.. freeze it and you have popsicles. .. mix it jello if you want.

Eat fruit and your assured that your getting your lytes, your fibre and the other benefits. But if you got the runs, well... this stuff could make the difference.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Mike Shaw

Profile:

Thanks for the response,
I guess my concern was that water is such a huge staple within any fitness community and with 3-4Litres comes multiple toilet breaks and evidently loss of electrolytes. I eat good fruit quantities so you've answered the question regarding alternatives it's just never have I had something give such an impact from night to day. Take 1or2 tablets before bed dissolved in water, wake up feeling great an go all day with usual water, diet etc feeling great... Dont take them, eat clean / usual water and feel the effects of last nights efforts as a strain on the body... I have to say it again the effects were night and day. There is no suppliment peddling within this post I was just genuinly intrigued at the difference...

Cheers,
M.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

maybe you need to look at more potassium rich food sources and add pinch of salt to your diet.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

You don't need to overdo it on the water - if you're thirsty, drink it, if not, don't. But don't feel like you need to be pouring the stuff down your face all day just because. Drinking too much water will definitely be flushing out your electrolytes - in fact, drinking way too much water can actually kill you (not that you are probably in danger of this, but it's interesting to note that even water can be overconsumed). Google "hyponatremia".