CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:
Re: Bumper Plates and Bar

Bill,
I appreciate it. I was trying to imply that this was the case but I did not make it clear and I certainly do not want to mislead anyone.

Noah
Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #12
Brian Sharp

Profile:

Steer away from the 5Kg/ 10lbs York plates, dropped a snatch a few weeks back and my friend's nearly new bumper plate bent. He was distraught.

If you need a 2.5Kg/5Kg plate, either use small metal plates or go Hi Tech (plastic). Once the plate size gets to 10Kg, they all tend to be pretty strong.

I would second everything Bill said about Hi Temps, they will probably out last cockroaches post world war 3.

The new colour Garage Gym plates are nice as well (steel insert and colour). If you can afford colour, go for them over black, we find it is much easier finding the plate you want in a pile when they are colour coded.

The Garage Gym plates have less bounce than the Hi Temps, which makes them a bit safer. Also the GG are less wide than Hi Temps so you can get more on the bar. With Hi Temps we are limited to 200Kg if you don't use bar clamps, with the GG bumpers you can get 300Kg.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sharp View Post
Steer away from the 5Kg/ 10lbs York plates, dropped a snatch a few weeks back and my friend's nearly new bumper plate bent. He was distraught.

If you need a 2.5Kg/5Kg plate, either use small metal plates or go Hi Tech (plastic). Once the plate size gets to 10Kg, they all tend to be pretty strong.

I would second everything Bill said about Hi Temps, they will probably out last cockroaches post world war 3.

The new colour Garage Gym plates are nice as well (steel insert and colour). If you can afford colour, go for them over black, we find it is much easier finding the plate you want in a pile when they are colour coded.

The Garage Gym plates have less bounce than the Hi Temps, which makes them a bit safer. Also the GG are less wide than Hi Temps so you can get more on the bar. With Hi Temps we are limited to 200Kg if you don't use bar clamps, with the GG bumpers you can get 300Kg.
Thanks for the heads up about the plates. I looked on GG's site and saw only the color ones with a brass insert. Either way, I am sure I will not need the extra space on the bar because the most weight I've ever moved was 265lbs and that was deadlifting, so I think I'll be fine if I decide to get Hi Temps.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Jason Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I want to buy some bumper plates and a bar to use at my house. I've searched around on here and the net but I am confused as to which brand to get. I want to get either a 230lb or 260lb set and so far Wright has the cheapest price at $275 for a 230lb set (don't think shipping is included). http://www.wrightexercise.com/230-po...set-p-826.html (wfs). However, I was reading past threads and people have commented on how the 10 and 25lb plates from Wright warp when you drop them. I've also heard good things about these plates. Obviously I want to get a solid set for a good price, so I am questioning the cheapness of the price due to the mixed reviews.

Rogue is known for having indestructable bumpers, but they are more costly at $395.50 and $436 for a 230lb and 260lb set respectively. I know the extra cost is for the better quality, but I want to make sure that either set is the best bang for the buck despite the higher price.

I'v checked out Wright, Pendlay, Rogue, GarageGym, and VS Training so far. Are there any other notable brands to check out? Any comments on the ones I've checked out so far (personal experience)?

Also, I've read to not mix and match bars and bumper plates because some bumper plates have a bigger hole than others and result in the pI'lates not fitting snug on the bar. So should I get the bar and bumper plates from the same supplier?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been looking around and seeing alot of contrasting opinions, except when it comes to Rogue's products. I plan on using these for both oly and powerlifting, if it makes any difference.
Just to clear the air a bit, we have never had any issues with our 25 pound plates warping. We did have some issues with the 10 pound plates a few years ago, but that has since been corrected.

As for the inserts we do use a brass insert that is thicker than most other manufactures at 3mm thick. Although we have only had issues with about 10 to 20 inserts out of the hundreds of thousands and probably into the millions of plates we have sold to date (which were replaced at no charge) we have a NEW Prototype Bumper with a steel insert about to drop (no pun intended), so I guess you can teach old dog’s new tricks.

Stay tuned as we have a few new exciting products about to be introduced….
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hughes View Post
Just to clear the air a bit, we have never had any issues with our 25 pound plates warping. We did have some issues with the 10 pound plates a few years ago, but that has since been corrected.

As for the inserts we do use a brass insert that is thicker than most other manufactures at 3mm thick. Although we have only had issues with about 10 to 20 inserts out of the hundreds of thousands and probably into the millions of plates we have sold to date (which were replaced at no charge) we have a NEW Prototype Bumper with a steel insert about to drop (no pun intended), so I guess you can teach old dog’s new tricks.

Thanks for the clarification. New toys...if only they were out now
Old 06-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #16
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hughes View Post

I bought some plates from Jason last fall. I never had any trouble with the 25s. The 10s would bend if you dropped them from high, but they bend back, no permanent warping. Also excellent customer service.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #17
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lester View Post
I bought some plates from Jason last fall. I never had any trouble with the 25s. The 10s would bend if you dropped them from high, but they bend back, no permanent warping. Also excellent customer service.
Good to know, thanks Eric.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Honestly, I think people are too eager to drop bars in CF WODs. There is no reason to be dropping a 65lbs bar from overhead multiple times. Control the weight down at least until 95lbs for the sake of your (or your gym's) gear.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Joe,

I am in the same boat as you, so I am curious - did you decide to go with the Hi Temps? I like the idea of Rogue being indestructible.

I also looked at the bar - looks nice but is $235 justified? Then the rack - 225 bucks for a horizontal. Seems kind of crazy but if the quality is lifetime then it's worth it .... right?