CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-31-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
Brad Yowell

Profile:  
I have been lurking on this website for sometime and recently have started to incorporate Crossfit as my fitness program. I just want to thank you all for the service you offer individuals through this website and open forum. It took a lot of research and reading to decide to give crossfit a try as it was different from anything I have ever seen. After a few weeks of crossfit I have noticed major changes in all aspects of my well being.

Anyway, i'll give you a little bit of background for my question. I am 6'4", 205, ~12-14%bf. I wouldn't mind putting on some mass, but strength is my main goal. I would also like to get my bodyfat in the 8-10% range. From your experiences, would it be best to start the general version of NHE initially to lean out and change to the bodybuilders plan or vice versa. Thanks for any help. Sorry if it was a little long-winded.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I would definitely suggest getting the bodyfat level down before adding mass. If you can manage to get down to 8% before bulking; a lot more of your mass gain will be muscle rather than fat.

-Jay
Old 12-31-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
Paul Kayley

Profile:
The definition of 'moderate' fats takes some experimentation... I found this to be no where as high as Atkins fat intake, and needed to be quite reserved to affect stubborn fat reduction.

I'd agree with Jay re the general NHE phase, and find your own fat intake level but do not restrict cals
Old 12-31-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Brad,

IMO you shouldn't "bulk up" unless you have a sports related reason. Once you have leaned out, I beleive you probably won't find it necessary to "bulk up". Conssitency and volume are the keys to gaining mass. Just work hard, and the mass will come. I think people who usually bulk up, ned up leaning out afterwards and generally once getting to their previouus bf levels have nothing to show for it, and if they have gained weight, it is just as much as they would have gained with smart training. Save yourself the trouble, JMHO.

J.D.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:45 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Welcome aboard Brad!

Bulking, Cutting...all these terms don't apply here.

Following Crossfit will get you leaner and stronger and will put on that extra muscle-that is functional, laborious muscle! :wink:
This will come gradually, and at the same time, not in "bulking" or "cutting" phases.

I haven't been on NHE but my advice on any diet which also stands true to Crossfit, is ease into it.

Have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Brad Yowell

Profile:  
Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I can't begin to tell you all how much I enjoy the crossfit program and the information found on these boards.

Per my original post, strength and lowering bodyfat were my main goals. I said I wouldnt mind some mass, but that is definitely not a priority. I think I will try the General eating plan to start. When I get close to my desired bf, I will experiment with my fat intake, carb load frequency to find the right diet. And of course continue with the crossift program.

Happy new year!!