CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Mike Marin

Profile:
WOD's on the Main Page

I read a thread not too long ago that basically stated that the WOD's posted on the main site are not the full expression of Crossfit, but a version aimed to fit the masses.

Is this because they mainly use all the named WOD's to keep it simple for everyone?
Or are the WOD's supposed to be even more intense???????
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: WOD's on the Main Page

My impression is that the WOD's are the foundation of crossfit, but that there are a few givens to go along with the WODs:

1)The program should be tailored to your needs. The work you do in addition to the WOD, or instead of it some days, should, of course, be different if you're a competitive long distance biker vs someone gearing up for a scottish highland games (I'd love to try the caber toss!).

2) The WOD is partly built to allow for wide participation, but I don't think coach and co sacrifice any efficacy to do this. Example: Crossfit total. One of the explicit goals (I just read the journal article ) was to create a strength test that could be done by as many people as possible, i.e. one that required little equipment, little risk of injury, no spotters, etc. Did this mean that they created a watered down strength test? No, I don't think anyone here would say so.

3) Creative or original or sport related physical challenges are highly encouraged, if not expected (learning new sports is explicitly stated as a part of the crossfit mindset). A close at hand example is the turkish getup. There are instructional videos, demo videos, etc on the crossfit homepage, but no WOD I've seen includes them. They're fun, and a great physical challenge and crossfit wants you to give them a try, but you won't find them in a home page WOD.

You probably already realized much of the above, but I hope this was the kind of answer you were looking for anyway!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I also think that skill work is implied. Are you going to be a double under machine if you only do them when the WOD uses them? Absolutely Not! I have never started doing it, but I was going to make a list of my weaknesses and put them in to the WOD schedule.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Nick Papapetrou

Profile:

All the fire breathers of Crossfit do the Main page WOD. 3 of the top 4 Crossfit games athletes train only with the main page WOD. I was just certified as Level one and all the trainers there, Tony B, Adrian Boz, John Gilson, et al. all did the main page WOD.

No, I don't think it's watered down. It's the same it always has been. Crossfit.

Do the HQ WOD and you will become Elite.