CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Michael Garner

Profile:
Newb Needs Help

Hey all, I’m the new guy on the block, I down loaded the video for the WOD and practiced about 10 times with the bar with no weight. I kept the weight relatively low because I have never performed the movement before. So here is what I did today. Let me know if my interpretation is close to what is expected.

5 Sets total 3 Reps per set

1st set 95lbs X 3
2nd set 115lbs X 3
3rd set 135lbs X 3
4th set 135lbs X 3
5th set 155lbs X 3

Like I said its low weight, I didn’t want to go crazy with something I have never done. Am I on the right track? Ohh ya I'm 31yrs 190lbs, 5ft 9, weight lifting, martial arts, football, wrestling, track and field, background if that helps. Thanks all and have a blessed day.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
George Mielcarek

Profile:
Re: Newb Needs Help

I am just starting out as well. I have a history of weight lifting but I am much older now (43) and I want to stick with this program long term and I am easing myself into it slowly and safetly. I did the same work out and it looked like this.

1- 95
1- 100
1- 105
1-110
1-115

I weight 271 and compete in BJJ. I know I could throw a lot more weight up but then again I don't think that is the point of this program. I am going for mechanics to include saftey first and then when I am comfortable with the movements I will then start to increase intensity a bit at a time. I figure I will be in the slow lane for a couple of months just to get in the groove. I was very humbled by the fact that I could not do even one pull up. I hate that fact now but I will point to it as a pityfull starting point later down the line and I know I will smile about it. Keep up the struggle. The juice is worth the sqeeze.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Chris Scott

Profile:
Re: Newb Needs Help

Michael,

Congrats on joining the program! That's solid weight for a newcomer.

Those numbers look great for a first effort. A lot of people start with a warmup (not much, though), then record their last 5 sets. Mark Rippetoe, the resident lifting guru on Crossfit, recommends ALWAYS starting with the empty bar (45 lbs), then doing a couple small sets in between 45 lbs and your working weight. He's got a great video on the back squat: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

If you like that, he's got lots of resources on the web, and an awesome book on barbells. He's also a Really Funny Dude.

As for safety, I've found the most important keys to be: head down (protect your neck), knees track over the feet (protect your knees), spine locked in normal curve (protect your back). I find that I have to really concentrate on the cue "knees out" to keep them where they need to be. If you're more curious, Rippetoe has a Q&A forum at ************ that has tons of useful info, and the squat-form sticky alone is a great resource.

Good luck and have fun!

Chris