CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Hampton Lane

Profile:  
I currently follow my caloric intake on fitday.com.

My maintenance is approx 2800-3200 cal/day. I want to get below 10%bf (at about 12-13% now) without losing muscle (maybe even gain). In other words, I want to remain at 170# but shed the last 2-3% fat.

Is a 30/50/20 (P/C/F) ratio a good one to live by??

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Zone is the suggestion here. 40/30/30 (C/P/F) with increasing fat as bodyfat drops below 10%
Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Hampton Lane

Profile:  
Interesting Scott. I don't know much about this subject, but how does increasing your fat intake help in decreasing BF% ?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Definitely hit up the search function on the site as there is a TON of info here about that very subject (along with most others that you could think to ask) . Long story short, if your body has enough fat incoming calorically, it begins to preferentially consume bodyfat as a fuel source during moderate effort.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Hampton Lane

Profile:  
So is a 40/30/30/ CPF ratio a good one for maintaining (building) muscle while burning my last 2-3%BF to get me at or below 10% bf?

I perform the WOD 2x/week, weightlifting routine 2x/wk, and run 2x/week.

I have an office job, sitting on my butt most of the day.

I eat very clean.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Short answer YES. Once again, search for Zone Diet around the forum and you will find so much info that you'll be overwhelmed. From there, come up with some specific questions and you'll get all the help you need implementing the plan!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Hampton,
Saying you eat clean, for lack of a better way of saying this, holds no water with me. It just doesn't mean anything--or conversely, it means something different to each person. "Clean", to me, starts involving grassfed meats, wild fish, organic fruits/veggies/nuts/seeds, and even how the food is prepared (ie. eating raw when possible/practical, avoiding microwaving, etc.). The list goes on and on.

For example, every overweight person I see tells me they "eat well/clean/good foods". I'm not saying this is you, however, if I have two people, one overweight and one below 10% BF, both saying they eat clean, what does that really mean? As soon as the overweight person tells me *one* typical meal (which will always include grains and/or dairy), I've thrown their concept of a good diet out the window.

At 178# and around 7% body fat, I'm eating 18 blocks a day at 3x fat. Each block is 145 calories:
18 blocks/day times
7g PRO/block x 4 Cal +
9g CHO/block x 4 Cal +
3g FAT/block x (3) x 9 Cal =
2610 Calories/day

I'd say your caloric intake is way too high to be losing bodyfat or increasing your body's efficiency in dealing with the food you provide it. I weigh more than you (and have maintained this weight for several months now), I have lower bodyfat, I do the WOD 5-6 days a week, and I'm eating a significant amount of calories less than you. Not to brag, I'm just showing you what I do and therefore how I perceive your situation.

Get into the Zone system, figure out your lean mass, use the 0.7 activity multiplier, figure out your personal block allotment, and only up the fat once you know your bodyfat has gone below 10% and your exercise performance begins to noticeably suffer.

That should give you some tools to work with...:smile:
Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
I perform the WOD 2x/week, weightlifting routine 2x/wk, and run 2x/week.

1500 calories of carbs a day is for someone training for an endurance sport like a ironman triathlon. The higher your blood sugar, the less energy comes from fat metabolism. If you're eating 5 meals with 300 calories of carbs in each meal, you're not going to burn a lot of fat. On some of the triathlon forums, you have people riding a bike 4 hours a day and not losing fat on that many carbs. Plus, your body is in sugar burning mode so when your blood sugar gets low, your body tries to pump up your blood sugar by converting your muscles to sugar.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Hampton Lane

Profile:  
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am going to alter my ratio to 40/30/30 c/p/f, maintain 2800-3000 cal/day and see how that works for the next 4-6 weeks.

Dr. Smith, thank you for your advice. I will think twice before I make the claim that I "eat clean" again. Thanks for the clearing that up for me.

I think either our metabolisms are different or I simply burn more cals per week than you. I have been constant at 2800-3000 cal/day for several months now and have maintained my weight at 168 +/- 2 Lbs. In this time I am quite sure I have dropped some BF. I have maintained my strength in all lifts, and my trousers are looser! Also the mirror test.

I really don't understand the "18 blocks a day" termonology. And I am not familar with the Zone diet. I began my weight loss program 2 1/2 years ago with the S.B. diet- not that I am still on it. I guess you could say I'm on the "maintenance" plan.

Thanks again everyone.
Hampton

Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Hampton, check out issue #21 of the Crossfit Journal for a simple breakdown of the Zone and the block system. Once you get the hang of it, it's the absolute easiest way to track macronutrient intake that I've found.