CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
Derek Dwerlkotte

Profile:
Vacation in San Juan, PR

I will be heading down to San Juan this Friday. Does anyone have any suggestion on places to eat, places to check out and any boxes near the Radisson Ambassador?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Vacation in San Juan, PR

Use this map to find a CrossFit affiliate: http://map.crossfit.com/ (wfs) Call ahead to ask about drop-ins, and to be sure the map is giving current information.

I can tell you about places to check out. I visited San Juan in 2011. We visited the San Felipe del Murro old fort (wfs) in old San Juan and had a blast flying kites with our kids on the grassy area in front of the fort. The wind was steady and so strong that after an hour of flying all three kites had been blown away. Also, any grassy area begs for handstand walks.

Here's something you have to do: kayak the bioluminescent bay (wfs). This was one of my top five favorite excursions ever, and I have traveled a lot. It's an hour outside of San Juan near Fajardo on the west coast of Puerto Rico. I've read that the glow in the water was lost and came back since 2011, so plan ahead to make sure they're still offering these tours when you're there. This is night time kayaking through water that glows blue when disturbed. Look for videos of this (wfs) if you like, but seeing it in person is so much better. Every paddle stroke is followed by a few seconds of sparkles trailing through the water. Fish that swim or jump out of the water glow blue. It's like kayaking through a starlit sky.

We also went hiking in the jungle and played in a waterfall.

Some of the people are rude, and the roads are a mess.

I can't tell you too much about places to eat, as we cooked in our apartment most of the time.