CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Joseph Matta

Profile:
Crossfit No Surrender's 24 in 24 - Includes video (SFW) - Challenge

3/24/15

CrossFit No Surrender 24 in 24
625 Plaza Drive
Covington, LA 70433
cfnosurrender@gmail.com

To the Strong and Dependable Crossfit Community:

This time last year my box's was pushing our big charity event of the year called 24 in 24 for Cancer Awareness. Where folks come together to do a WOD on the hour, every hour, for 24 hours. Last year we met our goal of $30,000 for Mary B Perkins Cancer Center. We were successful in part due to the support we got from Crossfit HQ and our local boxes.

This year our goal is $50,000 for Mary B Perkins. This year we wanted to reach out to the Crossfit Nation and ask for your support. There are thousands of affiliates out there and if each BOX donated $25 we would reach our goal in no time.

We are writing with the hope that our fellow boxes would be interested in supporting CrossFit No Surrender of Covington, Louisiana as we plan our fourth annual 24 in 24, a twenty-four hour fundraiser on June 6th & 7th 2015.

In the years past we have donated to Susan B Komen and CAGNO (Cancer Assistance of Greater New Orleans). Last year and this year we decided to donate all proceeds to Mary Bird Perkins, another local cancer organization in Louisiana. We would love to have your support and sponsorship. This event is near and dear to a lot of the members of CrossFit No Surrender. A lot of our members have been impacted by cancer either through their friends, immediate family or extended family.

This past year we had a cancer survivor attend the event and she wrote to let us know what the event and Mary Bird Perkins meant to her. Here are her words.

Hi, my name is Tammy Scaffidi. I was asked to write about what Mary Bird Perkins did for me. In order for you to know just how much it impacted my life, I have to tell you a little bit about me. In October of 2013, I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. And as hard as that may be to go thru, I am also a quadriplegic in a wheelchair. Since the age of 14, when I broke my neck, I was able to have medicaid which covered all my medical expenses. After I was diagnosed with cancer, I was informed by the state that they lowered the income requirements and I was no longer eligible. You can imagine the shock of not only having to go thru something devastating as cancer, but the realization of how will I be able to pay for this. I was fortunate to be able to get insurance at work but with this comes a huge deductible and co-pays, that makes it hard to be able to take care of myself financially. This is where Mary Bird Perkins comes in. There are not enough words to express what a real blessing it is to know that there is a program out there willing to offer help covering my deductible and assisting with chemo treatments! Because of that, I was able to concentrate on my healing rather than how I was going to be able to make it thru another day with medical bills and living. While I was at an appt, one of my amazing nurses invited me to go to a gym that was raising money to help support cancer. It was called 24 in 24. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but what I did see touched me completely! Everyone was so friendly and caring, whether they were there because they had family members or friends going thru this or simply just wanting to be a blessing to others. They made me feel so welcomed and everyone was so helpful. They even helped me make it thru the whole walk. I just want to say thank you to each and every one of you who supported this cause to help raise money for Mary Bird Perkins. I also want to say thanks to Shane the owner of Cross Fit, for putting on the 24 in 24. Many lives were reached and touched through this program. I know I was. Itís amazing how a simple act of just putting in an hour of your time or a donation of any kind can become something so powerful! As a breast cancer survivor, I know I will give my future support and will be there this year to help reach others! God uses the smallest of blessings to make the biggest impact. I hope this year will be bigger and better than the last! Hope to see you thereÖGod Bless!

Tammy and many other cancer survivors have attended the 24 in 24 to cheer on the participants, and join in on the festivities. Some have even chosen to complete some of the workouts with us. 100% of the money that is donated for this fundraiser goes directly to Mary Bird Perkins.

Donations help in many ways. Below are some specific ways donations help, burt in addition, they also help with medical prescriptions, groceries, dental extractions, wigs and chemo beanies.

● $25 funds one gas card which provides a patient in need of transportation, a way to attend their scheduled cancer treatments.
● $50 provides an hour of nursing care for a cancer patient participating in a research study or clinical trial.
● $75 supports the cost of one education tobacco cessation class
● $100 provides a mammogram for one woman
● $250 provides supplies needed during radiation treatment for oncology patients.
● $250 provides nutritional supplements for a patient battling head and neck cancer
● $500 allows Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center at St. Tammany Parish Hospital to provide a physician to be present at a screening
● $500 Fuel our mobile screening unit for one month, allowing it to provide life-saving early detection services throughout southeast Louisiana

If you havenít had a chance to watch our 24 in 24 video, here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2fuC3WI5k.

It will explain what the event is, and why it is so near and dear to our hearts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 24 in 24 single page flyer2015.pdf (237.3 KB, 243 views)