CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Any tips for squatting and keeping back straighter/more vertical.

Good advice so far...Take a big breath to brace your core, work on thoracic extension mobility, and ankle mobility.

On another note...just my opinion...none of those squats were to proper depth.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

One question for the anti-butt back crowd.

How do you engage a squat with hip flexion and not get some forward lean or compensate with posterior pelvic tilt?
Old 08-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
One question for the anti-butt back crowd.

How do you engage a squat with hip flexion and not get some forward lean or compensate with posterior pelvic tilt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gkFt8wquw (WFS)

You will get a bit of a forward lean in the back squat due to the bar position. Torso position is the priority, not what the hips or knees are doing (from a weightlifters perspective).

As for posterior pelvic tilt, not sure what you mean? If you have the flexibility and correct motor pattern, it won't happen.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

That's part of my point, since it is a back squat, you will have some forward lean that is the nature of a back squat.

In regards to posterior pelvic tilt, for many, if you really keep your torso upright when back squatting, when you enter hip flexion you either have to flex the torso to the hips or have the hips come to the torso. So if you don't lean forward you might butt wink in a sense.

I'm not saying you need to do all butt back and then flex knees. I feel that the butt back cue applies least to most in the following:

Front Squat vs. High Bar vs. Low Bar vs. Geared Squat/Box Squat

For those with great leverages for squatting they will need less and less of a butt back cue as demonstrated by the Chinese lifters. For those with long back or really long legs you may need more relative butt back.

Funny to read.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #15
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
That's part of my point, since it is a back squat, you will have some forward lean that is the nature of a back squat.

In regards to posterior pelvic tilt, for many, if you really keep your torso upright when back squatting, when you enter hip flexion you either have to flex the torso to the hips or have the hips come to the torso. So if you don't lean forward you might butt wink in a sense.

I'm not saying you need to do all butt back and then flex knees. I feel that the butt back cue applies least to most in the following:

Front Squat vs. High Bar vs. Low Bar vs. Geared Squat/Box Squat

For those with great leverages for squatting they will need less and less of a butt back cue as demonstrated by the Chinese lifters. For those with long back or really long legs you may need more relative butt back.

Funny to read.
I agree with all this. Ankle flexibility will also affect how close you can get your hips to your feet.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I also, from time to time, like to (well, hate to, but I do it anyhow) practice air squats while closely facing a wall or (say) a squat rack upright. Squat as close to the object as you can and then do an air squat while doing your darnedest to not touch the wall. If you can't stay off the wall, back off until you reach a point where you can. Stick with that spot for a while and then start trying to creep back towards the wall while still not touching it. For an extra challenge, do it with your hands up as in an overhead squat.

The tactile feedback of ramming your knees, nose, or forehead into the wall tends to make the movement auto-correcting.

- Mark
This!

And spend more time in the squat position, 5 minutes a day, then 10, etc.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #17
Dakota Base

Profile:

One of my goals with high back squatting is to mitigate my increase in pelvic rotation and spinal inclination as I drop, which if I'm successful means I can't "butt wink" (I don't know when this started, but I hate that term), can't break my spinal position, and HAVE to keep my hips close to my ankles.

I grew up with a lower back powerlifting squat, so a proper 'oly style' high back squat still takes a bit of focus for me. Plus, I have great abductor flexibility, TERRIBLE dorsiflexion flexibility and mobility (lots and lots of ankle injuries), so that's been something I have to work on in terms of my squatting technique.

I've seen several other cues in my coaching life for different sports that remind me of the "butt back" cue. It could quite possibly be a miscommunication that a select subset of athletes need the "butt back" cue, whereas others may never need it, but it has permeated lifting culture such that we very commonly hear it associated with squatting as if it were a critical cue for EVERYBODY. Some people have an issue with squatting over their toes, and for them, the 'butt back and drive through your heels" cue works. For other folks that tend to bow to the bar and have an excessively rearward squat, the butt back cue can often cause them to break at the hips and jeopardize their spine even worse.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #18
Alex Burden

Profile:

What I find is a good help is to alternate on front squats and back squats.

Trying to get the feeling of being upright and weight on the heels...

It is not the weight that is important but the feeling..
Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
I agree with all this. Ankle flexibility will also affect how close you can get your hips to your feet.
So very much this. It looks like you are running out of ankle flexibility and that stops your shins from tilting forward far enough to allow an upright torso at the bottom, as well as pulling your heels off the ground.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #20
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Kanterman View Post
So very much this. It looks like you are running out of ankle flexibility and that stops your shins from tilting forward far enough to allow an upright torso at the bottom, as well as pulling your heels off the ground.
I have this problem, and it will definitely affect your torso position in the squat because that is how the body compensates for lack of ankle mobility usually.

Look around there are tons of videos on ankle mobility, and some drills to increase your ROM, such as putting a bar or KB over your knee and letting the weight help pull your knees/shins forward.