CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Mark Yannetti

Profile:
Advice on a particular type of flooring

I Love the look of this flooring...5/8" thickness - interlocking, making it look much more seamless when compared to the 3/4" horse stall mats...would it would be durable enough to use in a crossfit style gym...will the 5/8" take the abuse of dropping weights/bumpers on them?
Thank you in advance for the advice.

http://www.rubberflooringexperts.com...ing-tiles.html
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Mark Yannetti

Profile:
Re: Advice on a particular type of flooring

Sorry - despite my best efforts and numerous tries to edit the post and add (w/f/s) to the end of the link it will not save...the link is safe but I will post a pic as well...the tile dimensions are 3'x3' and 5/8" thick. The tiles will be laid on a bare concrete floor. It sucks being new lol. Thank you for your patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	13138  
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

I know nothing of flooring. But if there's a weakness in this floor, a dropped barbell will find it.
I wouldn't be concerned over 5/8 and 3/4 because it's only a 1/8 difference.
However, are all the ridges underneath really means it's <5/8 thickness in support.
So from a strength basis If these are 5/8 solid rubber then there's probably no difference between them a stall mats.

They do look to be expensive though - especially if you end cap it. To cover a 6x3 surface is at least $70. But a 6x4 stall mat is half that.
e.g. A 1000 sqft room will cost ~$4k with these mats (no end caps) or ~$1500 with stall mats. (shipping and install costs excluded for both. Just $38 for the grid floor and $35 for stall mat).

These interlocking mats look to be grid patterned too.
Personally, I hate doing burpees and other floor stuff when there's a pattern on the ground. It always seems to find a way to rub a knee or elbow wrong. I've even had a sliding foot catch when snatching. Wasn't fun (yea yea lift on a platform). If doing lots of push-ups like in Murph and we spend a good amount of time kneeling while resting - knees take a hammering. Not sure how fun DUs would be either.
I recognize that stall mats come apart if they aren't all pushed together then kept in place. But they are smooth and the seam, is at least 4ft away.

If you love them and can accept the cost. Perhaps buy 4 of them and put them to the test. Drop heavily loaded barbells. Do burpees. Do some gymnastics. Do some DUs.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 01-16-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Those look really nice, I'm sure they would be a great flooring option but are they worth the price? That's the big question!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
John Burgeson

Profile:

I have stall mats. I put a good amount of that double sided carpeting tape underneath and they don't move. $40 a mat at tractor supply company is such a steal compared to almost any other flooring. hard to go wrong with them.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #6
Mark Yannetti

Profile:

Thanks for all the info so far...I do love the appearance but after looking at the pics again, as Clint said, it appears that they may be less than 5/8" throughout much of the tile which could be a problem. I will email them and get more info. Price is not as much a concern, although I do not want to just throw away money, but the price I was quoted was just over half of your estimates and with free shipping...again I will check on that as well. I will definitely look into the stall mats as I have seen a few sites with interlocking stall mats for only slightly more than straight edge ones. Again thank you for the help.