CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Jump rope

I've used an Everlast licorice jump rope for a long time now. I'm my boxing days I used this and a leather one. I was thinking of upgrading my rope. But am not sure what to go with..

I'm not worried about double unders so much or making it easier jump maybe a rope that turns faster?

Any ideas? Also I don't want to spend a ton of money $30 or less would be nice. Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Jump rope

You probably wouldn't go wrong with any rope that you buy that has some bearings in the handle within your price range. Often the weight of these things are personal preference and for my own personal use, I do notice a distinct difference in weight when I'm fresh vs gassed (and it depends what gassed me too - i.e. running vs rowing vs weight). But just like "time under the bar" helps with weightlifting, so does time with your rope. There'll be a honeymoon period, then you'll fall in/out of love with it continuously....

If you need a good example. The SR series from Rogue are pretty robust. Now you need to decide on short or long handles.... decisions...decisions
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
You probably wouldn't go wrong with any rope that you buy that has some bearings in the handle within your price range. Often the weight of these things are personal preference and for my own personal use, I do notice a distinct difference in weight when I'm fresh vs gassed (and it depends what gassed me too - i.e. running vs rowing vs weight). But just like "time under the bar" helps with weightlifting, so does time with your rope. There'll be a honeymoon period, then you'll fall in/out of love with it continuously....

If you need a good example. The SR series from Rogue are pretty robust. Now you need to decide on short or long handles.... decisions...decisions
Agreed completely.

If you're not really interested in double unders and just want to stick to singles mostly, you've got a lot of options. I'm currently using a One Fit Wonder rope that I got from FringeSport for around $10 and it's been great for singles and doubles.

I also have a basic speed cable rope from Rogue that I've used in the past and liked very much. That one was around $12.

The OFW rope has longer handles than my Rogue rope, but it just took a few times to get used to it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I have an SR-1 from Rogue and love it. Can pretty consistently get 100 DUs unbroken but I'm thinking of switching soon. My forearms get fried if I'm doing max DUs for 2-3 minutes, was thinking of trying the RPM rope. Anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited by Jayme Gruber : 01-15-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Bryan Krachun

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I have an SR-1 from Rogue and love it. Can pretty consistently get 100 DUs unbroken but I'm thinking of switching soon. My forearms get fried if I'm doing max DUs for 2-3 minutes, was thinking of trying the RPM rope. Anyone have any experience with it?
Funny you asked this question I literally was in the same boat as you with an sr-1 and wondering about an rpm rope. I went to my gym today and someone had gotten an rpm rope. Within the first ten seconds of trying his rope I had decided I'm going to purchase one.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
David L Jones

Profile:

I would suggest the R2 Trainer from Jump-N-Rope. It is by far the best all around rope I have found. I cannot do double unders with speed ropes, but I can with this rope. Molly Metz holds a world record for double unders and she says that if she could only have one rope this the one she would use. They are on sale for 20 bucks, usually they are 24. You can really feel this rope and it helps with learning the rhythm of double unders. I turn the rope to fast with a speed rope.

Here is a link (which is work and family safe): http://jumpnrope.com/product/r2-trainer-rope/
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Krachun View Post
Funny you asked this question I literally was in the same boat as you with an sr-1 and wondering about an rpm rope. I went to my gym today and someone had gotten an rpm rope. Within the first ten seconds of trying his rope I had decided I'm going to purchase one.
SOLD!

Although, out of curiosity, how good are you with your SR-1? What did you like that much more about the RPM?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Greg Light

Profile:

If you just want a standard speed rope there are a ton of options that will get the job done for anywhere from $10 - $50.

If you want something to really improve your doubleunders and fitness in general you may want to consider getting something from CrossRope.

I have their full setup and it has helped with so many different things including grip strength, should endurance, doubleunders, etc.

I always do 200 doubleunders as a good indicator of how my conditioning is. I did it about a dozen times in a row over about a year stretch and it was always 2:50 - 3:15 depending on how many times I got tripped up. After using the CrossRope system for a few months I had dropped it to consistently being in the 2:15 range with a PR of 1:58 and a max unbroken of 165. Also added a decent amount of size to my forearms.

HIGHLY recommended.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Clint Harris

Profile:

Jayme, I have a rope that looks to be very similar to this rpm rope. If it isn't actually one that is. (Wife brought home a box of ropes to size for a gym and I snagged one). I also have the SR-1.
The main thing I like about the rpm-like rope is the handle size - that was the instant attraction. The overall weight of the rope is slightly different too - probably just wire thickness.
That being said, there's really no major difference between how I can jump with either.
I can pick up either at any given time and peel of a set of 50 no problem.
However, some days I lean this way, others I lean that. This may translate to one rope winning over the other. It's not really the arrow but the archer that is different here.
I typically use the SR-1 in wods just because it's tried and true and I know how it works when my shoulders are smoked, and my lungs are spent. I now have one at home(rpm-like), and one at the gym(SR-1). No more bird's nests in the bottom of gym bag.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 01-17-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Bryan Krachun

Profile:

Jayme Dont get me wrong my SR-1 is a great rope and I am very consistent with it. I just felt after using the rpm rope it wasn't such a tax on my shoulders/forearms. Maybe this is due to the thickness of the cable? Either way when I was mid workout I didn't feel myself having to use as much energy to get the rope around.