CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Aaron Kromer

Profile:  
Ok so I'm just starting out and have been trying to do the Zone for about 2 weeks. Last week was about 50%, this week is close to 80%. I'm still feeling pretty tired and out of it a bit of the time, but I also just started classes again (college student here). So that could be part of it. But tonight I re-read the CFJ on Meals and noticed that the meals i had been eating (from the recommended meal blocks) didn't add up to the correct blocks when i actually checked the way you determine a block.

For instance, broccoli. Cooked broccoli in an amount of 1 1/4 cup is 1 carb block. According to the bag (it's frozen - Hanover brand, i'm a poor college student and the zone is a big strain on the old wallet so I buy whatever is on sale fresh or frozen for veggies) a serving size of broccoli cooked to directions has the following info:
amount: 1 cup
cal: 25
carbs: 3g (2g dietary fiber, 1g sugar)
protein: 2g
ingredients: cut broccoli

So by the "What is a Block" in order for me to get 1 carb block I would have to eat 3 cups, but at the same time I would get 6g of protein or almost a whole protein block too! Am I just crazy or is something amiss?

The same goes for my canned black beans: the zone/cf says 1 carb block is 1/4 cup.
Again Hanover canned:
serving size: 1/2 cup
cal: 120
carbs: 21g (6g dietary fiber, 0g sugar)
protein: 8g

So a CF 1 block carb of blackbeans is actually roughtly 1/2 block protein and just over 1 block carbs.

Please help me understand this better.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Chris Longley

Profile:
The block method leads to a balanced diet in the end because pretty much all foods have more than one kind of macronutrient in them i.e. some mainly protein sources have carbs in them, some carb sources have protein in them etc.

It'll all balance itself out in the end. Using the block method basically means that you know you are getting adequate protein, carbs and fats. Even with the 'hidden extras' you still end up hitting the 40/30/30 ratio, just with slightly higher calories than if you worked out your blocks exactly.

Don't worry about it. When doing the block method plan your meals using the main macronutrient in each food. So, meat is protein, fruit and veg are carbs and nuts, oils etc are fats.

It's too easy to get wrapped up in the numbers with the Zone and to be honest with you, it's really not necessary. If you're eating clean-ish and getting your macronutrient ratios kinda 40/30/30 you'll be fine.