CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Squat - Mobility?

So, I am absolutely terrible at diagnosing mobility issues, even with myself. Maybe especially with myself

Here's a video of 265x2 high bar back squat: http://youtu.be/qWv6vYBUk30 wfs
If it's relevant, that's technically my 1RM, but it's been awhile since I tested it and I front squatted 265 the other day.

Two things have been bugging me recently:
1) Butt wink. It's worse without the belt but you can still see it there.
2) Keeping my back straighter. Is the position I'm in about right for high bar or do I need to get straighter? If so, I've tried and that's a place I think I may have mobility issues. Not sure where to start though.

Obviously I can hit depth without much trouble, it's the other things that I'm working on
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Squat - Mobility?

It looks like your back is OK. Knees MAY be slightly too far forward.

Try this, while standing lift one knee to waist level or slightly higher, then straighten that leg. Can you comfortably hold that position? Tight hammies affect the quads making that position very hard.

Can you sit comfortably in the bottom of a squat for a couple of minutes? Hold the bottom and feel where things get tight or shaky. If you tend to want to fall backwards, that's usually poor ankle mobility.

You can also sit in the bottom of the squat with a loaded bar, maybe 95-135# and focus on relaxing your hips down, while focusing on an upright chest.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

that is not close to a max, looks like you could have hit it for 5 easy, probably more.

keep shoulders pinched and chest out, your upper back is way too relaxed, which is why you are leaning foward and you have butt wink. bach arch hard, shoulders pinch back, chest out. looking up can help with that.

sit back more. your butt should move back, not down. you might also try a slighty wider stance with feet pointed out more. play around with different stances.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Push form your heels and your knees should go where they need to be. You need to get tight all over like others have said. You can probably go up in weight and you don't know it yet!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Decent. A bit of rounding of the back is not the end of the world. I have heard that Glenn Pendlay has said this is okay over on his board.

Most good HBBS look like this. It's not great, but it's good and gets the job done with good depth.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys, to be clear I am aware that wasn't a max effort lift, I did 3 sets at that weight and realized I should have gone heavier - just wasn't sure where exactly since I haven't maxed high bar recently.

Marcus - I tried your first test... there's one thing for me to work on, it took effort just to lock my leg out there! As for the second one, I can sit in an AtG squat position for awhile but if I have issues there it's not that I tend to want to fall back, it's that my weight wants to shift to the balls of my feet!

Andrew - Tighten upper back, I will work on that. One thing I sometimes have problems with is not actively engaging muscle groups that directly lift the weight.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Load up a bar with 185-225 and just sit. Helps with flexibility in putting the hips in the pocket, ankles, calves. Also helps practicing that upright torso in the bottom of the squat. Will also help build that power belly strength which will even out the rounding.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I agree with Andrew on most notes.

Befor picking up the bar, get under it and tighten up befor you even pick it up, shoulder blades together tight(pinch), tight back, take a deep breath, push your stomach out(against the belt if you are wearing it. THEN pick up the bar.

get your stance, shove your but back then knees and shove your knees out at the top as you break the hips.

at the bottom remember to push your stomach out and think tight back and core, knees out.

Oh and I did not think it was a bad lift, you looked like you had more, just tighten the crap out of your torso.

the but back and knees out with engage the hams more by the way, it makes for a stronger lift getting more muscle involved.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
get your stance, shove your but back then knees and shove your knees out at the top as you break the hips.
This could be a highly debated remark, especially considering a HBBS for OlympicLifting. Fine for Rip's LBBS and possibly PL Squatting.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
This could be a highly debated remark, especially considering a HBBS for OlympicLifting. Fine for Rip's LBBS and possibly PL Squatting.
even on high bar you break hips slightly first right? (I low bar)

knees out really helps me on pretty much all lifts, deads, FS, thrusters ect.

Last edited by Nik Nichols : 04-30-2013 at 08:41 AM.