CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Lauren Rothschild

Profile:
What to eat during competition

I am looking for a little insight as to what to eat/drink in the time between your WODs in a competition. I have done two crossfit competitions now, and I still haven't exactly got this part right. My next one is in 2 weeks and will have either 3 or 4 WODs (anywhere from 10am-4pm)!

In the past, I have eaten a light breakfast, and then a fruit and nut bar or banana before hitting the first WOD. Then after that, just water until the second one. I end up feeling shakey and not at 100% performance (during the 2nd WOD). I definitely don't want to eat too much. The tricky part is that it is hard to gauge how much time you will have in between WODs.

Anyways I will be competing in RX for the first time and I really want to kill it! I would love any suggestions! Thanks!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: What to eat during competition

Protein powder to the rescue I'm thinking. Fruit works well for carb replenishment are something carby. Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes.

Really, you have to find something you can eat that works for you.

Bare in mind, ingesting stuff with fat in it means it will take longer to digest and sit in your stomach.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: What to eat during competition

As Blair said, optimal eating during a competition will be highly individual, but here's is some general advice that might work for you. Food suggestions are more paleo-esque, but could be whatever you like and tolerate well.

-Pre-event meal 3-4 hours in advance with good carbs and protein (chicken, sweet potato and nuts perhaps). If the first event is too early in the morning for that then scale back the size and heaviness of the food. If I only had an hour I'd probably have 1/4 to 1/2 of an apple, a little peanut butter, and a little sliced turkey breast (and something with caffeine 20-30 min in advance). Sipping on a protein and carb shake (or something like chocolate milk) might work well too, though for me that sits a little less solidly than other food options.

-Post event snack: High GI Carbs and protein. Liquid form will be easiest, 30+g carbs, 20+g protein. If you have another event really soon (like less than an hour away) you may only want to sip on your shake/drink. Erring on the side of less food here is probably the way to go, especially if you're really nervous and your stomach feels fluttery.

-Inter-event meal: If you've got 3+ hours before your next event get some food in (chicken, mashed sweet potato, and a banana would be a pretty good fit and easy to pack) and get away from the competition area to let yourself relax and not stay amped up for too long.

-After that days competition dinner should be plentiful quality food.

Last edited by David Meverden : 04-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.