CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Eric Shuty

Profile:
Re: PR Backsquat - Questionable Depth

Upon watching all videos again....it's still stupid. It's showboating at it's finest and actually makes it harder to unload the weight. It is the exact same thing as the bros at globo gyms tossing DBs from shoulder height after they get done doing shoulder presses. And since I have seen so many dummies do it over the years it has become one of my biggest pet peeves. I have done a crap ton of heavy squats in my life and not once did I consider heaving the weight off my back for no particular reason. We can argue all day long but to me it is ridiculous and unecessary...

Edit: forgot to add that this pet peeve goes for every lift: do it to contest standards, whether it be powerlifting, olympic, etc

Edit 2: I could post a video of someone like Ray Williams squatting well into the 800s in basketball shorts and a belt and racking it without making much more than a peep....but you get the point

Edit 3: just because third times a charm

Last edited by Eric Shuty : 02-27-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
Upon watching all videos again....it's still stupid. It's showboating at it's finest and actually makes it harder to unload the weight. It is the exact same thing as the bros at globo gyms tossing DBs from shoulder height after they get done doing shoulder presses. And since I have seen so many dummies do it over the years it has become one of my biggest pet peeves. I have done a crap ton of heavy squats in my life and not once did I consider heaving the weight off my back for no particular reason. We can argue all day long but to me it is ridiculous and unecessary...
That's funny. From the floor I can strip one side completely and then the other. It takes me less time than taking them off the rack and I can roll them straight into the rack instead of carrying them to the ground I also don't have to worry about taking to much weight off one side in the rack and having it flip over!...to each his own
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
I'll argue with him cause he's still an idiot. Can't wait until the needlessly dropped bar bounces im an unexpected direction and rolls up on the back of his ankles. I prefer strength with class. To me stuff like this cries of a desperate need for attention. Just let the lift speak for itself. These are the same reason I hate touchdown dances. You aren't the first person to do it and you won't be the last.....
Glad to see that posting a video in hopes of constructive criticism results in some self-righteous dude with obvious experience coupled with arrogance calling me an idiot. And insinuating that I'm a showboat. This video wasn't to impress anybody. Neither was the lift. And dropping the weight for attention? At 365 pounds, do you really think I'd try to draw attention to that? It's my personal best, yeah, but literally half of what the real lifters move. I dropped the weight because I got nervous, light-headed, and started seeing stars. Give me a break. The owner at my box was and is just fine with it.

I think its fairly obvious that I'm not one of the superstars that seem to scan this forum day in and day out, and that I'm really just looking for help and advice to become a better Crossfit athlete. I don't know why you have to be so condescending and outright insulting. "Idiot." Really appreciate that. Thanks for deterring the point of the video.

To everyone else; I appreciate the help.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Alberga View Post
Glad to see that posting a video in hopes of constructive criticism results in some self-righteous dude with obvious experience coupled with arrogance calling me an idiot. And insinuating that I'm a showboat. This video wasn't to impress anybody. Neither was the lift. And dropping the weight for attention? At 365 pounds, do you really think I'd try to draw attention to that? It's my personal best, yeah, but literally half of what the real lifters move. I dropped the weight because I got nervous, light-headed, and started seeing stars. Give me a break. The owner at my box was and is just fine with it.

I think its fairly obvious that I'm not one of the superstars that seem to scan this forum day in and day out, and that I'm really just looking for help and advice to become a better Crossfit athlete. I don't know why you have to be so condescending and outright insulting. "Idiot." Really appreciate that. Thanks for deterring the point of the video.

To everyone else; I appreciate the help.

Well, chief. Mr. Internet tough guy. If you weren't in such a huff to tell me off you would have realized that I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the video of the guy doing 685 who just needlessly threw the weight up in the air for no reason. That's why the post you quoted came after the video link of the squat i was referring to. I had already addressed your response prior to that. So perhaps you could lay off the pre-workout supps prior to posting next

Last edited by Eric Shuty : 02-27-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Well, chief. Mr. Internet tough guy. If you weren't in such a huff to tell me off you would have realized that I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the video of the guy doing 685 who just needlessly threw the weight up in the air for no reason. That's why the post you quoted came after the video link of the squat i was referring to. I had already addressed your response prior to that. So perhaps you could lay off the pre-workout supps prior to posting next
Pot calling the kettle black? Your comments are pointlessly and blindly condescending. That response was in no way an attempt at toughness. It was a response with my side of a story. You're just continuing to insult me for no reason. Pre-workout supps? I mean, what is that? Where is that coming from? Regardless. I'm done with this thread. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Eric Shuty

Profile:

An apology would be nice....

Last edited by Eric Shuty : 02-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #17
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Sean, you're some kind of man animal. A manimal, if you will.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Didn't look that ugly to me. Nice depth.
Agree with Eric on bar dumping.

With your core are you pushing it into the belt? You have it so tight, it looks like your pullling your gut in. If you aren't pushing out will give your more stability.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Didn't look that ugly to me. Nice depth.
Agree with Eric on bar dumping.

With your core are you pushing it into the belt? You have it so tight, it looks like your pullling your gut in. If you aren't pushing out will give your more stability.
I take in the deep breath and hold, then tighten my abdomen just before I start the descent. Should I be trying to push my stomach out more as opposed to tightening my abdomen? I find that once the breath is inhaled and held, I can't push my stomach forward because my diaphragm is contracted. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
Christopher Morris

Profile:

When you lift the bar out of the rack, does that feel stable? You're almost in a split jerk position. I'd recommend more of a push jerk position, with both feet under the bar for better stabilization and support, like the other videos posted in this thread. You're essentially supporting all that weight on one foot to lift it out of the rack.

Good squat, good depth.