CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
The $3.5 million “Grains For Life” campaign was launched today. Guess who funded it? Here’s what they are pushing http://www.grainpower.org/nr_grainsforlife.asp. It seems like the masses are ready for another diet trend kick. These things seem to go in 5-10 year cycles. All the while people get fatter because they’re simply eating too much. I heard a bread spokeswoman on the radio today say, “just make sure you eat 3 serving of whole grains a day and you can eat all the white bread you want”. Geez, here we go again.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Read something that talked about the basic physics of dietary calories, in regards to the common calorie taken in and calories burned off statement. Aside from the possible hormonal and metabolic changes that accompany a relatively less carb-loaded diet, there may be other factors that explain why folks tend to loose weight on a higher protein diet, even if the calories eaten seem to equal those in a higher carb diet.

In a very small nut shell, the article explained that carbs tend to metabolize faster than proteins. One of the laws of thermodynamics claims that energy tends to dissipate over time. This could contribute to the sometimes observed discrepancies in the simple calorie-in-calorie-out-calorie-stored idea. That is, because proteins take longer to metabolize in the body, they may allow more time for their calories to dissipate (as heat?), and hence there may be less available for use (metabolic processes, fat storage, etc). Not sure how they measured this, or even if they did.. just at theory I think.

Course... many of us are trying to keep the pounds on, not shed them off. :-)
Old 02-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Troy Archie

Profile:
I've got really nothing against a high carb diet; if it works for you go for it. What I really don't like though and think is the reason people should stay away from high carb diets is the amount of chemicals and preservatives they put in store bought breads, pastas and cereals. If it's home made I'll have some but even then it's sparingly. Even the oatmeal I have in the morning I get from organic food stores.

I agree with your last point there Brad. If people only knew that if they exercised hard they could pretty much eat anything they wanted...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
One thing I was trying to highlight is that fact that so many of diet studies are fueled by the desire to sell products or diet books. It gets quite confusing. Who do you believe? I was watching the tube the other night and I saw a commercial for “Zone Bars”. I am not opposed to profit but am suspect of research funded by people that are in business to sell as much bread as possible or books for that matter.

Is anyone aware of any sources that are not tainted by selling product? I was questioning one of the cave man diets not long ago and someone sent me a bunch of links to sites that sell cave man diet books. Hardly unbiased
Old 02-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
John,
I think the diets come first and then products come with the popularity of those diets.
Zone bars would be easier and cheaper to make if it was a high carb diet. They are mostly a convenience item for people who have already committed to the dietary approach. I'm not sure about the Zone timeline, but I'm pretty sure that the book came out and gained popularity long before supporting products were released. And Sears also sells Fish Oil, but it would be much more profitable if he recommended corn oil instead. And cheaper still if he did not have his oil independently lab tested. I think there is a lot of objective research to support his views as well.
However, it is a bit different when the product comes first and then they manipulate research to make their product look good, ie partially hydrogenated soybean oil vs coconut oil.
When you read a book like the Cholesterol Myths by Ravnskov, you realize the difference between interest motivated research and research motivated interests.

Tyler
Old 02-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Course... many of us are trying to keep the pounds on, not shed them off.
Shutup, Brad!!:wink:
Old 02-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
David Werner

Profile:
John
I'm not going to beat up on you this time - honest! I agree that the overt commercial agenda is a real turn-off.

Troy
Your take seems perfect, I try to stick with homemade, non value-added foods also. The commercial offerings are very suspect, and nothing is worse than the food industry jumping on the latest diet trend, with a high powered marketing campaign.

It's tough to plan ahead and prepare all your food, but that seems like the only way to go.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 02-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I think more concern than a high carb diet is the quality of those carbs. Not just the additives, but the density of the carb sources. As most of us have found out, it's much harder to eat X grams of carbs in the form of broccoli, apples, blueberries, or lettuce than in the form of bread (even healthier options like whole grain), rolled oats, etc. It's so easy to overeat when you eat high density carbs, rather than low density carbs...is it easier to feel satisfied from a slice of bread or 3 cups of broccoli?

I view it as a matter of convenience and laziness...why steam veggies when I can just grab some bread? Course, switching from processed foods almost reduces the carb intake of the diet by necessity. I have trouble eating enough fruits and veggies on a 5/2 Zone diet, much less if I was eating 50% carbs.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Sorry John, I didn't mean to change the subject with my post. I'm a bit hyperactive (they tried to give me meds but I said heck no) sometimes, and the thoughs don't necessarily come in order. I did get you point and I do agree! Thank you for the link.

The Crossfit journal is only 25 bucks a year, and the website is free. Does that count as a source that is not tainted by selling a product? :-)

Conducting research for the sole purpose of selling a product, data dredging, manipulating the stats, emphasizing some and quieting other results... it happens. It's pretty easy to spot if you know what you are looking for. Unfortunately, most folks don't seem to know what to look for. Also, some vendors are just good liars. :-(

Brad

Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Pat Janes

Profile:

I follow the Zone (although, I bump up protein while sacrificing carbs a little bit), like many others here.

But John, I must admit, I get a little sceptical of the marketing etc behind many of these things. From what I can see, the Zone products sold by Dr Sears (the bars etc, not the fish oil) are full of exactly the sorts of things that he counsels against..!

The nutritional chart for his Chocolate Zone bar contains:

- Sugar
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Corn Syrup
- Glycerine
- Honey

... all of which are, to my understanding, "unfavourable carbs" in the Zone.

So, just because it has Barry Sears name on it, and it fits 40/30/30 and has fish oil and vitamins/minerals in it, it no longer matters where the carbs come from? I realise that these products are supposed to be used as supplements, but let's face it... the people in the target market for these things are likely to eat quite a lot of them.

On another note, our Australian Institute of Sport publishes nutritional information on their website, most of which appears to be sponsored by Nestle, Gatorade and Kellogs. It's not hard to imagine that they push a high-carbohydrate diet, suggesting up to 70% for endurance athletes.

When it all comes down to it, the best you can do, is eat as does Troy, I think. Eat food that comes from as close a place to the original living source as you can. As others have said, if you eat a whole lot of meat, fruit and vegetables, nuts and berries... you won't have room for much of anything else.