CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Mike Hollister

Profile:
Re: Squat stands w/ spotter arms vs power rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Rice View Post
I have spotter arms on my S-1 and it works like a charm. But mine is bolted to my platform with the mounting feet.
yeah that's what I thought. You use them for benching? What's the heaviest weight you've had on the arms?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Rolando Santos

Profile:

I have a S-1 that is not bolted to anything. I like putting the empty bar on the spotter arms to load it for dead lifts. I know I need a stronger dead lift (I'm working on it) but without being bolted I've had the bar at the very edge of the spotter arms with 315lb without a problem no tilting at all.

Again this was not a drop simply loading the bar then pick it up and putting it on the ground for reps.

If the real reason you are getting it is for safety during benching I highly recommend it. My brother was benching on it, got distracted and dropped it with 225lb, spotter arms saved him left a nice mark on the spotter arms. We then had a conversation about gripping the bar with thumbs rather than open hand grip. I've failed many times and scooted out from underneath the bar. Remember all of this is without bolting it I have a need to move it around on a regular basis.

My .02 hope it helps...
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Donald Rice

Profile:

I agree, the spotter arms can hold more weight than You will ever bench. We load max deadlifts off ours at 500lbs with no issues. As for drops, i have bailed on squats in the 375lb range without fear. It's all about the design of the base of the S-1. Its 48 inches from front to back, which gives you a very stable structure bolted down or not. Some people prefer the R3 rack, but you can't go wrong with the S-1 unit.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
David Shamah

Profile:

if you go with the squat rack now and want to eventually add bands into your workouts its going to be a lot harder to setup.
the rack allows you to either use the band pegs at top or bottom or chocke them from the top or bottom.
im going with the rack and maybe ill get the spotter arms for the outside of the cage if i want to work inside and out of the cage.
band work is not only for geared lifters.
band work helps you with speed through your sticking points so you can be explosive past on the bottom and pass your sticking point even after the bar speed slows down.
i would recommend using band work even if you never plan on lifting with bench shirts.

Last edited by David Shamah : 03-16-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Search out my platform pics I've posted on this forum. I sold my cage and got stands made just for this reason. I pull 600+, BS 500+ and Bench 365+. I've never had a problem and can use bands etc for squats and DL's on my setup.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Stu Christensen

Profile:

I found it..................

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=14

wfs
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Mike Gin

Profile:

The reason I went with the S-2 over the racks is I didn't want to have to bolt anything to the floor. The S-2 is very stable without being bolted to the floor (and especially since I have 410# of bumper plates on their storage arms). Thing doesn't move. But I could move it if I needed to very easily. I can do kipping pullups on it as well with no problem. The R series however need to be bolted to the floor to do that. They both have their pros and cons so the key thing is to determine what your needs are. If you do get the S series, get the spotter arms. They have saved me several times already on heavy bench pressing. No more rolling the bar down the torso!!! I train by myself so now I can really push harder knowing that I'm safe. You can't go wrong either way, especially with Rogue's quality!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Jamie Hentig

Profile:

I have an S2 with spotters and works great. I've modified my S2 with extra storage for chains, bands etc. and outfitted the stand with band pegs.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
Brian Liang

Profile:

I just wondering, how important do you guys find the spotter arms on the S1/S2?

Cause I am about to buy some stands, and I stuck between the Rogue S1 or the S4 Indy Stands. I understand that you can't put the spotter arms on the S4, but I like the fact that the S4 will be easier to store in smaller places and probably easier to move around.

I was almost dead certain I was going to get the S4 indy stands. But after reading all these post in the tread about the spotter arms saving your behind. Im starting to rethink my decision.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Hey guys I went w/ the rack and installed it between two 8 by 8 platforms.

Looks like this. I really like it so far. My wife and I can both work out at the same time or I can set up each side for a different workout/bar scheme. Really good way to use the R3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb-4986.jpg
Views:	5942
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	9101