CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:
FringeSport wooden rings review

I've used all sorts of plastic rings over the years, recently I decided to give wooden gymnastic rings a try. The difference between wooden rings and plastic is remarkable. The first thing you notice about the wooden FringeSport rings is beauty, they look like works of art. As soon as you touch them you'll be hooked- the wood actually feels like an extension of your hand. Even without chalk (I rarely use chalk with mine) they "stick" to you hands in the best way. Contrast this to the feel of plastic rings, you always feel like you're loosing your grip. There's a reason why gymnasts only use real wooden rings to train and compete with.

I absolutely love doing pullups with these rings. Doing pullups on rings allows your wrists to naturally rotate, this helps prevent the dreaded elbow tendinitis associated with high frequency pullups. Once you get used to doing your pullups on rings you won't want to go back to the fixed bar very often. I also use these rings for dips. Doing dips on rings adds a whole new level of challenge to the movement. To dip on rings you need to maintain some serious body tension. And as with ring pullups your body is free to find the range of motion it needs. Suspended push ups? Gotta love em with the FringeSport wooden rings! There are some many movements you can do with rings, do yourself a favor and get some today. What's next for me? The iron cross....

The wooden gymnastic rings made by FringeSport are the best deal going, $69 shipped. They come with adjustable straps that are quick to set up just about anywhere and are bomb proof. Peter and Alex Keller stand behind all of their products & offer unsurpassed customer service. http://www.fringesport.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	8930  Click image for larger version

Name:	pullup.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	8931  Click image for larger version

Name:	dip.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	8932  Click image for larger version

Name:	PU.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	8933  Click image for larger version

Name:	PU 2.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	8934  

Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: FringeSport wooden rings review

Nice. Another entry to the wooden rings market.

After my experience with Rogue's FIG rings, I was pretty much of the same mindset.

Also new wood rings have a nice smell to them, like sawdust. Most of my lil guys didn't like it, but I did.

I did find the same thing as for chalk usage with the wood rings vs synthetic rings. Then again at a gymnastics gym, chalk was aplenty for the most part. With synthetic rings, grippage can really vary.

Anson, to note, Gymnasts no longer use Wood Rings and haven't for a long time. Competition rings are now made of fiberglass. I think they have a banded core in case they do fail (as what happened in 2008 Olympics a few times).
Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Mike Moris

Profile:

Great review.. I just received tracking info my rings. I am looking forward to them. Btw.fringe was prompt with their emails and I will be a return customer.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Great product! They sent me a pair after a FB promotion I won a while back! I don't use anything else!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Nice. Another entry to the wooden rings market.

After my experience with Rogue's FIG rings, I was pretty much of the same mindset.

Also new wood rings have a nice smell to them, like sawdust. Most of my lil guys didn't like it, but I did.

I did find the same thing as for chalk usage with the wood rings vs synthetic rings. Then again at a gymnastics gym, chalk was aplenty for the most part. With synthetic rings, grippage can really vary.

Anson, to note, Gymnasts no longer use Wood Rings and haven't for a long time. Competition rings are now made of fiberglass. I think they have a banded core in case they do fail (as what happened in 2008 Olympics a few times).
Thanks for the correction, I didn't know this.