CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

The CF community certainly enjoys the physiques of fit people, no doubt, but I think that, on the whole, that is a good thing. CF glorifies women who are strong and fit and that is something this world needs more of. It is an active rejection of waify super models; a celebration of women with real legs who can lift 300# barbells, climb ropes, and do handstand pushups.

Is their vision of beauty as wide as would probably be good for the psychology of women? No, and I'm sorry that this had a negative effect on Gillian Mounsey. That is truly unfortunate. And CFs vision of "ideal beauty" is still not achievable, or healthy, for everyone. But it's a whole lot better than the Tracy Andersons of the world who tell women that they need to be WEAK AND SCRAWNY to be feminine.

P.S. I definitely think Rip tears into CF a little too eagerly (I'm with you on your points, Doug), and that CF has helped his business tremendously. The CF community has exploded and SS is the go-to manual on lifting for basically the whole community, a community that is now a lot wider than strong man or powerlifting circles. Heck, it sometimes seems like half the people on Rips own board mention finding him through CF.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz;
I'm always suspicious of someone's motives who spends their time attacking someone or something else rather than simply pitching the advantages of their own program, views, etc.
So do you often find yourself suspicious of HQ and their motives?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #33
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
So do you often find yourself suspicious of HQ and their motives?
*rimshot*

I've seen people from CFHQ take more than one pop shot at other people/groups. Just watch some of the videos out there from CFHQ, you'll run into them.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #34
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
I can 100% say that I knew of Rip LONG before CrossFit came into popular view of the general public. So did 90% of the guys I train with. Maybe it was you that had limited exposure? Maybe not?

Like was said, Rip gave CF credibility. Ask yourself this... in the "fitness" or "weightlifting" or "whatever" world.... who would you hear about first if you were looking to get strong... "Rip"....or "Glassman"? Rip, exactly.
I actually live in Lawton Oklahoma which is about 45 miles from Mark's gym. I went there for the first time back in 05' when Glenn Pendlay shared the same facility. It was pretty cool learning how to do cleans and snatches from Glenn. I was also in the Starting Strength dvd that was made back in 2008. I am the bald guy wearing the CrossFit WIchita Falls shirt. (I guess that is neither here nor there in regards to the point I am trying to make.) Mark knew what CrossFit was before he got involved with it. Period.

Louie Simmons is another Strength coach that has taken advantage of the popularity of CrossFit. I have known about Westside barbell since 95' When I first competed in Powerlifting, but now lots more people know about them and their methods. That is what all coaches want, exposure. Many more people know about CrossFit than Mark Rippetoe. Mark RIppetoe knows more about strength than the majority of CrossFitters and Coach Glessman. Coach Glassman knows that these guys know more about strength than him and that is why he invited them to be apart of the community. That is why Coach Glassman has never attempted to teach the kettlebell cert or the plethora of other specialty certs.

I think it is funny that people think that CrossFit is only what is on the main site or at their local "box" (they are called gyms by the way). CrossFit is Strength and timed Metcons. You can do it however you want. Maybe call it CrossFit Football, maybe call it CrossFit Endurance, call it strength bias, blah, blah. It's strength and conditioning. When you add the stopwatch and the competition, you can call it CrossFit.

CrossFit does not make anyone do anything, it gives people the opportunity to do things. It gave me the opportunity to open a successful gym which was a dream of mine since I was 16 years old. Now people come to my gym because they see the CrossFit name, so it gave me a chance to be succesful too.

The longer CrossFit is around the more people are going to bash it. Even it's most faithful message boarders.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
Evan Jackson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
It's strength and conditioning. When you add the stopwatch and the competition, you can call it CrossFit.
No you don't. You call it "things that have been done in all sports levels since the invention of timing mechanisms."

The part that CrossFit adds is the encouragement of poor form to achieve faster time. THAT is what CrossFit has brought to the world, a loss of respect for the nature of the human body.

You also fail to notice that what is on the main site is the FACE of CrossFit itself. Whether other CrossFit trainers deviate from that is utterly useless, because most CrossFit trainers are going to follow the stupid **** that HQ puts out...and there are plenty of people doing CrossFit on their own. What the **** do you think they're going to follow?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #36
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Jackson View Post
No you don't. You call it "things that have been done in all sports levels since the invention of timing mechanisms."

The part that CrossFit adds is the encouragement of poor form to achieve faster time. THAT is what CrossFit has brought to the world, a loss of respect for the nature of the human body.

You also fail to notice that what is on the main site is the FACE of CrossFit itself. Whether other CrossFit trainers deviate from that is utterly useless, because most CrossFit trainers are going to follow the stupid **** that HQ puts out...and there are plenty of people doing CrossFit on their own. What the **** do you think they're going to follow?
The encouragement of poor form? Ha Ha! If your form breaks down because you punk out and get sloppy that is on you. If you read Jay Cutlers back training program and try to follow it and get injured it is on you. The magazine did not make you do it wrong you did. Same goes for CrossFit. Does form break down? Yes. Do people care more about time than doing things properly? Yes. Does CrossFit encourage poor form. No.

The main site is a place to get workouts from. If you don't like the workouts YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THEM!! The issue is that people gets so damn dogmatic about things that they forget that they are allowed to think for themselves. I like CrossFit workouts and I do them, but I don't do the ones I don't like.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #37
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
I am pretty sure you guys would have no idea who Mark Rippetoe was unless he got involved with CrossFit. It was good for him and good for the brand. He brought years of experience and CrossFit brought him a platform that he utilized to get his name out there.
Mark Rippetoe would have gotten well known with or without CrossFit because of his books. Regardless, I am not sure how increased exposure through affiliating with CrossFit has anything to do with the article.

Regarding the article, I think I fall in the middle. The appearance vs. performance issue is not really an either/or.

Besides, if you're not a competitive athlete, I see no reason for an obsession with performance. Recreational athletes have little need for obsessing with athletic performance. It's probably unhealthy for them both physically and psychologically. Most people should just exercise and eat in ways that are both enjoyable and healthy. Exercise and diet should not be taken so seriously as to become a cause of OCD behavior. There are many people who take the term "athlete" too seriously. There is a difference between enjoying taking part in athletics and having to be a life-long "athlete".

Looking good also doesn't have to entail looking like or employing bodybuilding and modeling tactics. For the most part, you really don't need to be obsessive compulsive and take radical measures to improve your appearances through exercise and diet. Many people who fail at their health and fitness goals fail because they think they have to go hardcore (crazy dieting + crazy exercise), and then they fall off the wagon.

Of course, some succeed better by being more strict with themselves than others; however, if you're an average bloke, you don't need to train 2x day or 5 days+/week to get results. You may do better psychologically on something more rigid/structured, but that doesn't make it a physiological truism that applies to everyone.

The bottom line is that you need to train and eat in a way that meets your personal goals in a sustainable and flexible manner. When I train people, I don't have the notion in the back of my head that I need to get them doing "functional movements", or if they're female, that I need to get them to embrace becoming strong at the compound lifts. I might be attracted to athletic looking women, but I don't need to project my values onto others, especially something as subjective as beauty.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #38
Evan Jackson

Profile:

Quote:
The encouragement of poor form? Ha Ha! If your form breaks down because you punk out and get sloppy that is on you. If you read Jay Cutlers back training program and try to follow it and get injured it is on you. The magazine did not make you do it wrong you did. Same goes for CrossFit. Does form break down? Yes. Do people care more about time than doing things properly? Yes. Does CrossFit encourage poor form. No.
http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/06/...strategies.tpl

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh..............

Quote:
The main site is a place to get workouts from. If you don't like the workouts YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THEM!! The issue is that people gets so damn dogmatic about things that they forget that they are allowed to think for themselves. I like CrossFit workouts and I do them, but I don't do the ones I don't like.
Ah, one of the number one problems of people who are "trained": Inability to "relate", or put themselves in the shoes of others. (This also applies to politicians.)

The people who do this on their own generally don't have a "cert" (as if that meant anything in reality, but let's pretend it does), so how the **** are they going to know what to do? They won't, so they do what the main site suggests, since you would think that the people who run the main site know what they're doing.

But they don't.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #39
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Mark knew what CrossFit was before he got involved with it. Period.

Louie Simmons is another Strength coach that has taken advantage of the popularity of CrossFit. I have known about Westside barbell since 95' When I first competed in Powerlifting, but now lots more people know about them and their methods. That is what all coaches want, exposure. Many more people know about CrossFit than Mark Rippetoe. Mark RIppetoe knows more about strength than the majority of CrossFitters and Coach Glessman. Coach Glassman knows that these guys know more about strength than him and that is why he invited them to be apart of the community. That is why Coach Glassman has never attempted to teach the kettlebell cert or the plethora of other specialty certs.
I think both are getting something from it. Bottom line is that CF is given accreditation for these guys being a part of it. In turn they get paid to give their certs. It's give and take, scratch my back and I scratch yours.

Quote:
I think it is funny that people think that CrossFit is only what is on the main site or at their local "box" (they are called gyms by the way). CrossFit is Strength and timed Metcons. You can do it however you want. Maybe call it CrossFit Football, maybe call it CrossFit Endurance, call it strength bias, blah, blah. It's strength and conditioning. When you add the stopwatch and the competition, you can call it CrossFit.
Maybe call it cross/circuit training. With or without a stop watch, or competition, it's all just strength and circuits of different types.

Quote:
The longer CrossFit is around the more people are going to bash it. Even it's most faithful message boarders.
This is not a shot at anyone in particular but, the longer cf is around the more there will be to bash.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #40
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Jackson View Post
http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/06/...strategies.tpl

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh..............

Ah, one of the number one problems of people who are "trained": Inability to "relate", or put themselves in the shoes of others. (This also applies to politicians.)

The people who do this on their own generally don't have a "cert" (as if that meant anything in reality, but let's pretend it does), so how the **** are they going to know what to do? They won't, so they do what the main site suggests, since you would think that the people who run the main site know what they're doing.

But they don't.
I am diggin' your hostility big guy! The Castro article that you are refering to is an article to give advice to competitive CrossFiters. Not everyday mainsite peeps. I know I don't hit the top of the second pull of my snatches when I do "Randy" because it is not nessecary with 75 lbs for 75 reps. But when I snatch anything over 70 kilos I do. That article makes sense for me because I am a competitive CrossFitter. What would not make sense for me is an article about how to do a wheelie an a motorcycle, since I can't ride a motorcycle.

So you need to be "trained" to use common sense? Deadlift 315 lbs 45 times in conjunction with 30 inch box jumps. My 1 rep max is only 300 but OK I'll give it a shot, after all it's on the internet! Come on man. If people are that helplessly brain dead then we are all in trouble.