CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #101
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
So the 60 year old guys playing basketball at the YMCA are not doing it for health. Then why are they doing it?
Probably mainly for recreation, fun, to let off steam, be around others with similar interests, and a variety of other possible social reasons that take priority.

Justin

Last edited by Justin Z. Smith : 07-27-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #102
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
They come out very differently.
Yes, and somehow CrossFit is more liable than the rest of these disciplines when people hurt themselves, or do these other disciplines just never cause injury because there are no "bad" coaches and/or students? Orrr is it that these other disciplines are magical and thus inherently safer?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #103
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Has their ever been an injury at the gym you train at? I already know the answer. Is it because Olymipc lifting is bad for you? No.

I guess I have always just had the ability to think for myself and I figured that most other adults do too. Aparently that is not the case. I think because Coach Glassman is out of the mainsite scene alot of his ideals have gotten muddled through interpretations of individuals on message boards and the like.
I'm trying to figure out what your response means other than an excuse to be smug. Are you saying that the preventable, predictable injuries that result from poor Crossfit HQ programming and uninformed Crossfit trainers (see: Achilles tears due to high-rep box jumps, SLAP tears due to high-rep kipping pull-ups, rhabdo due to high-rep GHDs) are equivalent to accidental injuries that occur in an intelligent training program due to someone making a one-time mistake?

As for the last one--if someone sues you, do you hire a lawyer and trust their advice is good or do you get your own law degree because you have to "think for yourself"?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #104
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Annie Sakamoto, Greg Amundsen, Nicole Carol. Spealer is in his 30's, so am I, if that is very young than thank you.
According to the new ReeBok/CrossFit merchandise, CrossFit was founded in 1974 (?) (http://shopcrossfitreebok.com/crossfit-1974 safe for work, family, etc.) Surely there has got to be someone who has been doing it longer.

Justin

Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #105
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I, for one, believe in results.

I used to do LSD running and went to the gym to bench, curl and do pullups here and there w/o having any real idea of what I was doing or why I was doing it except that everyone else was doing it and I didn't think I was going to hurt myself.
I'm not trying to pick on you, but this is a story that I seem to hear a lot. "I used to do this and this and had no idea what I was doing and I was spinning my wheels and then I found CF and it was the saving grace." Common story, but I have to ask; is it the fault of the benching and the LSD running that you didn't get results or is it that you, admitedly, had no idea what you were doing?

Again, I'm not trying to pick on you specifically or say that CF doesn't work, or diminish whatever success you've had. I just think it's interesting how much credit CF gets sometimes when people come from backgrounds like this. Something is always better than nothing and CF is always going to be better than just walking around a gym and trying a little of this and a little of that (provided you're able to stay injury free of course.) However, that doesn't mean that other things don't work and don't work REALLY WELL with some intelligent planning put behind them.

I'm not trying to convert you from CF or say what it has done for you isn't great. I'm just trying to say to people in general, don't let it blind you. Keep an open mind. LSD running is not the devil, benching is not the devil. Alot of things can be great tools if you know how to use them.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #106
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
According to the new ReeBok/CrossFit merchandise, CrossFit was founded in 1974 (?) (http://shopcrossfitreebok.com/crossfit-1974 safe for work, family, etc.) Surely there has got to be someone who has been doing it longer.

Justin
Isn't Coach the original Crossfitter?

Oh and this was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but could someone please point me to the situation where high rep box jumps might be applicable to real life survival?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #107
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
If he spent 10 years doing Crossfit, why did he not do a double-under until 2009?

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/09/...n-my-armor.tpl (wfs)
Same reason it took me a couple of years to learn to do them? So many things to learn so little time. We have to pick and choose.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #108
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I've only been doing CrossFit since January of 2010. I just wanted something different to get me in great overall shape since I was generally weak, but my cardio was pretty strong. I didn't realize how much CrossFit had helped me until this Sunday when we had my 7 year old's birthday party doing rock climbing. I did 5 different climbs, including the only one that was able to do the hardest section, and I thought that was pretty easy. Several of my adult friends also work out and they couldn't come close to keeping up. Some because they just got tired and some because they didn't have the strength. CrossFit does work. If it isn't for you, just move on to something else. Don't quite understand why people that hate CrossFit post on here. There are other sites to go to.

I think form is very important, even when doing them for time. When I see some WOD's come out that I think are a little rediculous, I just don't do them or I modify them. Use common sense. It isn't CrossFit's fault if you are too stupid to know your own limits.

As far as Gillian Mounsey, she is a phenominal athlete. Was it the coaches fault because of the programming or because they weren't teaching her the right form, or was it because she just didn't know what she wanted to do after bodybuilding and was sending mixed signals to her coaches? I'm asking because I don't know the answer and her article wasn't to clear to me.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #109
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I'm trying to figure out what your response means other than an excuse to be smug. Are you saying that the preventable, predictable injuries that result from poor Crossfit HQ programming and uninformed Crossfit trainers (see: Achilles tears due to high-rep box jumps, SLAP tears due to high-rep kipping pull-ups, rhabdo due to high-rep GHDs) are equivalent to accidental injuries that occur in an intelligent training program due to someone making a one-time mistake?
Given that weightlifting has a lower injury rate that even badminton, well, that pretty much speaks for the safety of OL'ing training methods.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #110
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Oh and this was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but could someone please point me to the situation where high rep box jumps might be applicable to real life survival?
You've been kidnapped and are stuck in a room bound by a chain around your ankle. The only thing in the room is a wooden chair. You must jump up and down from that chair repeatedly. 100 reps, 125, 150. Then Snap! Your achilles tears in half. With your new found ankle mobility and lubrication from the blood you slide your foot out of the chain and are FREE! You hobble off to safety.