CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Zach Reed

Profile:
Re: Some new records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Understandable, but I personally feel that 1RM's are more of an ego thing. Sure, maybe once a year I'll do a total to see where I'm at, but won't you get better strength gains by doing 5's and 3's and just using a calculator to get a general sense of where you are at?
Umm yea check out Westside training where you max out EVERY week on a lower & upper body movement.

Training with max singles are extremely effective at building absolute strength.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Um, take a look at Westside who max twice a week.

Or any of the top weightlifters who maxed 6 days a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Seriously?
No offense, but how much experience do you have with tracking your (or other people's) progress on strength gains when doing lifts at 5s 3s and singles?

Even when I was doing purely CF, my box programmed 1RM lifts way more frequently than 1x per year.
I was reffering specifically to the CF total, because of the fact that you only are supposed to get 3 attempts at the weight. 1RM attempts are obivously done by me WAYYY more frequently than once a year.

This (the following) is for my own knowledge, nothing to do with the OP's message and more with what you both had replied to me with the above.

This may go against what I had posted in a thread I created to ask about and further understand 1-1-1-1-1 type workouts, but wouldn't your strength go up in a more well-rounded fashion from 5's and 3's most of the time and a 1RM per lift thrown in every once in awhile instead of more frequently? I think I am beginning to understand (please correct me if I am wrong) how a 1RM attempt forces your body to recruit as many muscle fibres as possible, where as 5's and 3's work more to strengthen the fibres that your body is already utilizing at that weight (while still increasing a fair amount of strength, in contrast to doing something like a 20 rep squat, which would increase your endurance more than your strength). And again, I understand that the OP's post has nothing really to do with this, but I feel you two may be able to provide me with a good answer to the following. I'm a shorter and smaller athlete, and so I need to program with a strength bias towards my workouts, although I still wish to become as much of a well-rounded athlete as possible (jack of all trades). Would it make sense to just rotate 5's, 3's, and 1's every heavy session of a Squat, for example? Or should I focus more on 5's/3's than 1's? Why?

Last edited by Daniel Frankel : 09-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Scott Walters

Profile:

I guess the bottom line is my box programs it every 6 or 8 weeks, so i do it! I enjoy it. So does most of the box. End of story really
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
Scott Walters

Profile:

From a personal point of view, in my opinion seeing progress for someone like me is very motivational. I'm over 40, out of shape and could be prone to giving up. Society is kinda geared to telling people like me that my best is behind me. Seeing that I can improve on my best is a big kick of sand in the face of that belief. Now if your a teen, you probably do not have to deal with those concepts. You probably do not have a career, wife, child, buisness etc all screaming for your attention instead of training. You do not have to weigh the $ to benefit ratio of what you do. You expect, as does the rest of the world, that your best is still before you. To have it proved to you like I just did, well that's golden.

If that makes me an ego monster in your eyes, so be it. Modest though my gains are, I am still proud of them, and they will continue to drive me towards the best me ever! ( again all in my humble opinion)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
From a personal point of view, in my opinion seeing progress for someone like me is very motivational. I'm over 40, out of shape and could be prone to giving up. Society is kinda geared to telling people like me that my best is behind me. Seeing that I can improve on my best is a big kick of sand in the face of that belief. Now if your a teen, you probably do not have to deal with those concepts. You probably do not have a career, wife, child, buisness etc all screaming for your attention instead of training. You do not have to weigh the $ to benefit ratio of what you do. You expect, as does the rest of the world, that your best is still before you. To have it proved to you like I just did, well that's golden.

If that makes me an ego monster in your eyes, so be it. Modest though my gains are, I am still proud of them, and they will continue to drive me towards the best me ever! ( again all in my humble opinion)
Scott, I said I felt that constant totals were more for ego. I never stated whether or not it was a bad thing.

Its people like you, who go the extra effort to not just try, but try and succeed to get themselves in shape, regardless of any life situations, that have my respect. I hope I have that persistent drive that you seem to have a lot of when I'm older. Keep doing your thing, and I'll try to track your posts and see your constantly updated strength gains. (Do you have a log?)

Keep on keeping on.

- Daniel

(And I do apologize if the ego thing made me sound like a bit of a jerk. I'm still young and learning, so I'll have to ask you forgive me.)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
Scott Walters

Profile:

Goodness nothing at all to forgive, just explaining that some wods have significance above and beyond the training effect, at least to me anyway! One of the reason I love team and partner wods as well

Yes I do, I'd link it but I'm not real tech savvy, but if you look in my posts, it's the fat old man log! Thank goodness I'm a little less fat now
Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #17
Scott Walters

Profile:

Ok, another record of sorts. I finished a wod first today, and Rxd at that. Not fast by any means, but I am still rather chuffed at it really.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #18
Scott Walters

Profile:

Another cft, and another record, up 12.5 kg. Again rather happy
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #19
David Steckler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
Another cft, and another record, up 12.5 kg. Again rather happy
Great work!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
Peter Bernardin

Profile:

Good job dude! I'm curious. I did about 4 months of CrossFit most days of the week and don't think I gained any strength at all (only lost fat). In fact I think my squat went down from 220 to 175 ish.

What kind of food do you eat? And how much?