CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Joshua Yuhas

Profile:
Is it Motivating or Demeaning?

In the Army, or any branch of the military for that matter, there's an attitude of "We all go home, or no one's going home." Meaning, that until the last person has achieved the objective, you haven't succeeded.

I have finished WoDs prior to other people in the class, and after a few minutes of recovery, that mental attitude comes back. I want to go, pick up the barbell, do the box jumps, swing those kettlebells with them.

Reminds me of the Drill Sergeants who would, though shouting at you continuously, would run up the hill with you, then back down and run back up with the next soldier.

Now I'm not saying we need to start yelling obscenities at the person, but today everyone but 1 person completed the WoD within a couple minutes of each other. I saw everyone just standing there watching the person finish their last round of the WoD and you could tell the person wasn't very happy with the additional attention.

I was thinking, "If everyone is standing around, let's go pick up the weights and start lifting with that person."

Now Crossfit (From what I have seen) is very much about the individual. Beating your last time, improving your PRs and it makes sense. We all came in with different body shapes, fitness levels etc and the only real way to measure if you are doing better is to measure against yourself and how you have improved.

So does the "We all go home, or no one's going home" mentality not fit with CrossFit? Or is this kind of dependent on the box?

I put this in Starting because, as a newbie, I don't know if it should go somewhere else.

Joshua
Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
John McCord

Profile:
Re: Is it Motivating or Demeaning?

Being in the Military, I am definitely one of the "go back and finish with them" types. In unit PT you always finish, then run back to the last person and push them through, with motivation, not just silently running behind them. Although I have not returned yet from deployment and found a box to join, if i had to choose between a box where everyone just finished and watched the last person, or one that pushed them through by doing some of the remaining workout with them, I would likey choose the latter. I would even like it if they were to just move out of the workout area and do something else while I finished than just watching silently. Seems a little awkward.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Joshua Yuhas

Profile:

My fault - there was clapping and inspirational "You can do it!". But there was some dead time in between.

They all clapped when the person finished, but again, to me I'd rather get up there and help count while doing the rep.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Michael Henry

Profile:

It depends on the workout, but in general I'd say in general just go back and cheer them on. You're taking your Army mentality a step to far. You go back to the people who haven't finished the run to motivate them (or tell them they suck, which is also a technique). "Going back and finish with them" is just a function of having to go where they are in order to motivate them. Depending on the movement, if they are going all out, they probably aren't paying that much attention to what you are actually doing anyway.

As you CF more, you'll see where it can be appropriate. I wouldn't call it demeaning, but if I'm doing something like Helen and someone finishes with enough time to catch their breath and comes back to where I am and knocks out pull-ups and swings with me to motivate me, I would probably not like it. But if I had some burpees to finish and some was there to pace me, that wouldn't be so bad.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Standing around and cheering out of a sense of obligation is disingenuous and obvious. If it's genuine, it's legit. If it's done out of a feeling of duty it's false and demeaning. Bail and get back to work if you have to. Stick around for a brother or sister if you really feel it and are able.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Scott Walters

Profile:

I am only a newby, and I am the one you are all waiting for! In our box some leave, many stay, and a few will continue on with you. Today I had three others finish my 400m run with me to finish.

For me (and I know it is different for everyone) it is one of the things that i LOVE most about crossfit. It is a community (at least in our box). People are genuinly happy to help, to see me push through, and are celebrating in my achievments with me. In the rare cases when I finish before others, I always stay, because I love staying. I love encouraging, knowing what the back of pack group are going through, and I love the high fives after.

So for me, no embarasment, it is all about the joy of achieving more than I thought I could do, and loveing every second of others going through that with me!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Rick Barnes

Profile:

Being military I can understand where you are coming from BUT..there is a difference..when I am PT'ing my joes (oh they hate when I lead it) I usually have to motivate people who have no motivation that would rather be in their bunk still eating Twinkies...so of course what I use with them would be different than with the CF'er that is motivated to come to the box (I go to the 6am classes) at 6am and push themselves, so it's more of an encouraging motivation rather than with the Mil crowd of you will die and have extra duty if you don't finish..

Depends on the person also some of the guys we will push harder than some of the newer people or ladies...all depends...

But..the military motivation is far different than what you would see or even want at you local box...
Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Scott Hallas

Profile:

i would say it would vary from person to person and workout to workout. But while I would appreciate some cheering on during my last few reps, I would not appreciate anyone coming back to finish with me. I understand it may be coming from a good place but I would politely ask the person to not do it. That being said, I have an eventual goal of running a 5k. I came to crossfit very deconditioned and while i have made great strides i still stink at running. I am going to throw in the couch to 5k program with it and when the day comes that I am going to go for the 5k if people joined me for the last lap or two I think that would be awesome. But on an everyday WOD, i would prefer people just let me battle the workout on my own.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
Cody De Arkland

Profile:

Right now, i am that "last guy finishing" - its hard to be that guy. Friday on the WOD we were doing a mile run at the close of the workout, and i had been considerably behind the entire time. One of the guys at my box has a bad knee and did rowing to sub for running. As I was finishing the run, i just ran out of gas - so i was walking. He ran out to me, and encouraged me to run the entire way. One of the coolest things thats happened for me at my box so far.

I think that positive encouragement is what makes people who are "back of the pack" push to do better. To me, it felt like he was going above and beyond to make sure i made it through and pushed myself further than I thought i was going to be able to. I felt like if he was able to go out of his way to run out to me, the least I could do was force myself to run it in.

I think the attitude is a good one. Completely motivating, and furthermore, good for you for doing it. You're the kind of guy that makes those of us in the back of the pack want to push forward to do better.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
David Doran Marshall

Profile:

I'm usually one of the last to finish, and at least a few people will normally hang out and say "c'mon brother" or something to that effect. If ever i finish before other people, I'm usually wiped and unable to take part in any communication whatsoever. So I don't blame others if they don't give me hugs.
And we've all seen the fake props- just don't do it if you don't mean it. "alright Boss one more rep".