CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Form check help: Back Squat/Front Squat/Deadlift/Overhead Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Not disagreeing with you but trying to learn. Why do you recommend a closer stance?

Why do you recommend bending your knees first? I feel when people do this they wind up over extending over the knees instead of getting down and deep into a squat. I've always been an advocated as break the hips first then start knee bend--but fairly close together.
My guess is because OP is high bar squatting. High bar squatting and wide stance do not mix very well. He could keep his stance the same if her were to do a low bar squat, and then he would have to work on sitting back.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #22
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Right. I was assuming HBBS.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
My guess is because OP is high bar squatting. High bar squatting and wide stance do not mix very well. He could keep his stance the same if her were to do a low bar squat, and then he would have to work on sitting back.
I'll agree with that.

What about knee bend first? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just trying to understand.

-Bob
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I'll agree with that.

What about knee bend first? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just trying to understand.

-Bob
Well, generally, in a high bar Oly squat, you will break at the knees first or simultaneously with the hips. With the high bar squat, you want to sit down, not back. The knees will track over the toes (if done correctly) and it's OKAY if the knees travel forward of the toes. However, you must still keep your back arched. All of this keeps the upper body far more vertical than a traditional LBBS.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #25
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
All of this keeps the upper body far more vertical than a traditional LBBS.
which is what I AM or SHOULD be doing?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

When you squat-front, low bar, high bar, manta ray--whatever. The center of mass of the bar should be over the midfoot.

If your goal is to do high bar/olympic style squats, mechanically to keep the bar over the center of your foot you have to be more upright. When you are more upright, in order to get depth your knees will move foreward and should track over the feet. So if your goal is to do high bar squats, then you want to be more vertical. High bar squats decent overall but puts a little more focus on the quads compared to low bar. Many feel low bar are more balance in hitting all of the lower body musculature. But high bar has its merit too, especially if you like olympic lifting. If you do a lot of front squats, you might want to do low bar instead since front squats are a distanct cousin of high bar.

In low bar squats, you need more foreward lean since the bar is lower on the back to get it midfoot you need to lean more foreward as you go down, but then to counterbalance this your hips/butt move back more and shins are typically more vertical compared to high bar.

Different styles with slightly different start, end and check points.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #27
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
which is what I AM or SHOULD be doing?
I don't know which you should do, that is up to you and your goals. However, if you are going to do a HBBS, then you need to narrow your stance a little. IF you are going to LBBS, then you need to lower the bar on your back and sit back more.

You're doing a combination of both and that's probably why you are not hitting depth.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
I don't know which you should do, that is up to you and your goals. However, if you are going to do a HBBS, then you need to narrow your stance a little. IF you are going to LBBS, then you need to lower the bar on your back and sit back more.

You're doing a combination of both and that's probably why you are not hitting depth.
Yea, that makes sense. Next time i squat, ill narrow my stance a little ( i think i might've been going for a bit of a sumo squat, bit i agree, it was weird and in-between), and film from both the side, and the front.

On a side note, is the angle Ive chosen for all of my lifts okay?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Yea, that makes sense. Next time i squat, ill narrow my stance a little ( i think i might've been going for a bit of a sumo squat, bit i agree, it was weird and in-between), and film from both the side, and the front.

On a side note, is the angle Ive chosen for all of my lifts okay?
I think so. One more thing, when you bring the bar out of the rack, don't be in such a hurry to start the lift. Make sure you're setting up and getting tight before starting the lift.