CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Mike Bartlett

Profile:
Rogue S-1 spotter arms

I purchased an S-1 rack- love it ! I am debating purchasing the spotter arms. With shipping they are about $175. I am just starting this program and will not be going heavy- but this item seems to sell out very fast. I envisioned being able to use it for bench as well as squats ( I am a lone ranger in my garage box)- but I realized that they probably won't work for bench.

Anyone who can shed some light on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Ari Sherwood

Profile:
Re: Rogue S-1 spotter arms

If you go with bumper plates for squatting, having the spotter arms won't matter quite as much since you can just dump the bar if it's too heavy. But, they certainly would be a nice-to-have option. Not sure if they are useful for benching.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Jack Bravo

Profile:

let us know how it goes if you decide to get them. They're 20" per the rogue website, so it seems like you should be able to use the J-cups for racking the bar and the spotter arms for spotting the bench. what i don't know though is if you do a wide-grip bench, if you could still fit in between those spotter arms. it'd be nice to try out.

EDIT: ok, according to wikipedia, a powerlifting bar has its rings/marks 81cm apart (~32 inches), while an olympic lifting bar's marks at 91cm (~36 inches) apart, so if you grip the bar at or inside the marks, the spotter arms should work for bench since they're 43 inches apart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbell
http://www.roguefitness.com/new-rogu...quat-stand.php

Last edited by Jack Bravo : 03-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Mike Bartlett

Profile:

Thanks for the responses ! I contacted Rogue and they indicated the spotter arms will work for bench. They have spaced the holes at 1" on their S- series racks in the area that would be used for the bench to allow micro-adjustments on the safety-spotter arms. I bought em.

Rogue is outstanding in terms of products and customer service- highly recommend.