CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Lisa Erickson

Profile:
Fit by 40

I spent 12+ years so fat and out of shape I could hardly walk or keep up with my kids. I had hit a "rock bottom moment" at Sea World when I almost rented an electric skooter to get around. I have a condition called PCOS and was told I would be fat and I would have to live with it. But I got the nerve to go the a local globo gym 21 months ago and met my trainer Mando there. He is CrossFit certified and did these workouts with me that I thought were crazy, but I went along with it. I didn't know what CrossFit was. He was just feeding it to me in little easy to swallow amounts. When he opened his own CF affiliate in March this year I left the gym and went with him. I can't believe how far I've come. My mantra has been, "Fit by 40!" In January I will be turning 40. To date I have lost 82 pounds (trying to get to 100lbs lost.) I can't believe some of the things I can do. I hold many of the records at our box for highest one rep max in weightlifting on the board for woman. I'm just a stay-at-home-mom with 2 young kids, is this normal? For me it is. The Paleo diet and CrossFit was exactly what my messed up endocrine system needed. My Dr. Can't believe it! So I am still struggling with the last 20 pounds but it's going to be fun trying to get it off! Thanks CrossFit! I don't know how to put up before and after pictures so here is the link to my blog. See for yourself!
http://allnewmom.wordpress.com/
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Fit by 40

I just read your blog too and WOW. Great job. Fit by 40? Sounds like you were fit by 39 easily!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Awesome work! It's always cool to see people achieve great things despite obstacles in their paths.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Nice Work! and most importantly it looks like you have made it into a sustainable life style. congrats!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Lisa Erickson

Profile:

Thanks all! I am new to the CF forum and I love it! Doing my first Triathalon tomorrow morning just for fun. Going to think of it as a "chipper" WOD and power through it!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson View Post
Thanks all! I am new to the CF forum and I love it! Doing my first Triathalon tomorrow morning just for fun. Going to think of it as a "chipper" WOD and power through it!

awesome! triathlons are so much fun. was it a sprint tri? how did you do?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Lisa,

Inspiring blog and impressive story! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson View Post
To date I have lost 82 pounds (trying to get to 100lbs lost.)
I read your post on your blog (dated 12/10/2010) where you were venting about how frustrated you were that those last 20 lbs won't come off. And OH WOW, can I relate! Not that I'll say anything you haven't already considered, but, here's two things I wondered about as I read...

1) I assume you're keeping in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and that you have no doubt built up a lot of muscle recently.

2) I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways. Have you considered keeping track of calories? (GASP!!)

I started to say more about this, but it was getting too long winded and I could see it hijacking your thread. So I started my own thread here. (safe) Short version: I've come to the conclusion that I was using Palio and Crossfit to over eat, and that to force myself to stop, I needed (for a while at least) to count calories. I'm not saying this is you too, but so far I'm seeing some positive results.

Good luck with those last 20 lbs. I hope you don't mind if I shared the URL of your blog with my wife. She just had out third child eight months ago and is struggling to get back to her pre-pregnancy body.

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Lisa Erickson

Profile:

Thanks...Yes. I know muscle weighs more than fat. I am 5'9 inches and weighed in today at 188. I am super strong and proud of that. I think that 160ish is a reasonable goal for my height and age (almost 40) And yes....I know I should count calories. Blah blah blah. Ok I'll try it tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crookston View Post
Lisa,

Inspiring blog and impressive story! Thank you for taking the time to share.

I read your post on your blog (dated 12/10/2010) where you were venting about how frustrated you were that those last 20 lbs won't come off. And OH WOW, can I relate! Not that I'll say anything you haven't already considered, but, here's two things I wondered about as I read...

1) I assume you're keeping in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and that you have no doubt built up a lot of muscle recently.

2) I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways. Have you considered keeping track of calories? (GASP!!)

I started to say more about this, but it was getting too long winded and I could see it hijacking your thread. So I started my own thread here. (safe) Short version: I've come to the conclusion that I was using Palio and Crossfit to over eat, and that to force myself to stop, I needed (for a while at least) to count calories. I'm not saying this is you too, but so far I'm seeing some positive results.

Good luck with those last 20 lbs. I hope you don't mind if I shared the URL of your blog with my wife. She just had out third child eight months ago and is struggling to get back to her pre-pregnancy body.

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Lisa Erickson

Profile:

Didn't mean that to sound so bratty. I just mean I know I should count calories but I don't.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Jeremy R Johnson

Profile:

Inspiring, Lisa! I sent your blog to a client whose daughter has PCOS. Keep up the good work.