CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Steven Webster

Profile:
Re: Power clean, warm-up to max

Tommy Kono, explains shoulders over the bar in the following slide presentation. The whole thing is well worth watching if you've not yet taken the opportunity:

WFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27zI...layer_embedded

WFS
Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:

It is actually called a 3 position clean, not triples. Triples just means three reps.

The first 2 positions is where the bar would be at that stage of the full lift.

Also get your back a little more locked down at the start.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Ok, I started doing Starting Strength last week. Today was workout #6 and my third that had power cleans. I've progressed from 135 lbs, 145lbs, and now 155 lbs. The weight is still easy to get up, so I'd like to get things straightened out before the load gets too high.

155lbs x 3 x 5 (all WFS)
Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Set 4

Feel free to list everything you see wrong. But, if you don't mind, please make it clear what the main thing(s) I should focus on next time.

Also, I plan on doing some light power clean technique work tomorrow (2010-06-05) since my next SS workout is Monday. If you have any suggestions of what I should do for my cleans tomorrow, that would be great.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Squeeze your scapula together in your start position and hold that the entire movement, and try to get your knees further back as you push off the floor. When you extend, make sure you move under the bar as well instead of just kicking your feet up. Those should be sufficient tips for the moment.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
Squeeze your scapula together in your start position and hold that the entire movement, and try to get your knees further back as you push off the floor. When you extend, make sure you move under the bar as well instead of just kicking your feet up. Those should be sufficient tips for the moment.
The third tip (getting under the bar) I understand. The first two, not so much.

Does "squeeze your scapula together" mean the same thing as pull your shoulder blades together?

As far as "try to get your knees further back as you push off the floor", I'm not really sure what that means. First, this may be a dumb question, but which part is when you push off the floor? Is it when you first start moving the weight, when you are jumping with the bar above the knees, or somewhere else?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Yes, pinch your shoulder blades together.

When you first start moving the weight, get those knees even further back. That will load up the hamstrings more.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #17
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Yes, pinch your shoulder blades together.

When you first start moving the weight, get those knees even further back. That will load up the hamstrings more.
Is this any better?

Power Clean 2 x 135 lbs (warm-up for deadlifting). WFS

Also, I did a set of cleans before this as part of my warm-up. I don't do full cleans very often, but I figured it would be smart for me to do every once in a while.

Clean 3 x 95 lbs (warm-up for deadlifting). WFS
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

There is no difference in speed between your first and second pull other than yanking the bar to your shoulders with your upper body. Use those legs to propel the bar up.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #19
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
There is no difference in speed between your first and second pull other than yanking the bar to your shoulders with your upper body. Use those legs to propel the bar up.
Yesterday I was doing a light technique day for power cleans and I noticed something. I couldn't keep the bar skimming against my shins because of the knurling. It would rub my legs raw if I tried. That made me come to the hypothesis that I have my legs too far apart on my cleans and deadlifts. Is this probably the case? I have a Rouge bar. Should my legs fit easily inside of the knurling on cleans and deadlifts?

I have video from yesterday. I was just doing 135 lbs singles to try to work on accelerating with my legs. Is this any better?

135 lbs power clean singles on the minute. WFS

I think my years of lifting with bad form has taught me to keep the bar away from me on my deadlifts and cleans. Do you have any experience with people who have this problem? Is there a good way for me to break this tendency? I'm realizing that the bar is nowhere close to my thighs when I get to the jump.

Last edited by Anthony Giurato : 06-09-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

In the snatch or clean, you don't want the bar to contact the body until the brush/pop. This'll cause friction and slow the movements down. When you jump/extend/straighten the legs then the bar comes in contact with everything. For example, watch Kurlovich snatch and CJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvM5_...eature=related WFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBypkeCLX8 WFS

Notice the bar only comes in contact with the legs/hips as Kurlovich starts to jump. Also in the clean, you can hear the brush with the legs from the quick extension of leg and hip power. So you want to keep it close, but not TOO close. Like I said, tighten the back, squeeze your shoulder blades together, and relax your arms. Things usually fall into place.