CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: SS results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Talecki View Post
Sleep is definitely a problem. I have an 8AM MWF class and a 8:45AM TR internship, plus some loud roommates. On my best days I only get about 7 hours on average 5-6.
Then it's a matter of priorities. You sttd when you have to wake up but when do you go to bed? I am 35 and have 2 kids that I have to get in bed at night ... these two also come into my bed in the middle of the night waking me up ... I am also starting the 'wake in the middle of the night to pee' routine (thanks gomad) so - I have to go to bed at 9:30. I get between 7 and 8 hours most nights (I have to get up at 5 am to train and drive 45 minutes to work).

You can do this. Quit staying up past 11 pm on weekdays. You started a novice linear progression - keep going through the holidays when it's easy to eat alot and put on another 10 lbs ... then cut after the turn of the year so that you look good for spring break!! LOL
Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Talecki View Post
Sleep is definitely a problem. I have an 8AM MWF class and a 8:45AM TR internship, plus some loud roommates. On my best days I only get about 7 hours on average 5-6.
I hear ya man, I'm in the same boat and am currently doing SS. I've stalled once so far on squats and I'm tired before I even get to the gym. If I could get more sleep I would be making better progress, but that's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Then it's a matter of priorities. You sttd when you have to wake up but when do you go to bed? I am 35 and have 2 kids that I have to get in bed at night ... these two also come into my bed in the middle of the night waking me up ... I am also starting the 'wake in the middle of the night to pee' routine (thanks gomad) so - I have to go to bed at 9:30. I get between 7 and 8 hours most nights (I have to get up at 5 am to train and drive 45 minutes to work).

You can do this. Quit staying up past 11 pm on weekdays. You started a novice linear progression - keep going through the holidays when it's easy to eat alot and put on another 10 lbs ... then cut after the turn of the year so that you look good for spring break!! LOL
It is very hard to get more than 6-7 hours of sleep at college, I've tried; normal for me is 6 hours. I've gone to bed at 10:30 various nights, only to fall asleep by 1-1:30 because of roommates (I have three). Some of my roommates' friends come over at 12 too, which sucks. Only one of them understands the need for sleep since he does CF (starting SS in one week), but the rest are loud. Doesn't help that they all have later classes than I do.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I hear ya man, I'm in the same boat and am currently doing SS. I've stalled once so far on squats and I'm tired before I even get to the gym. If I could get more sleep I would be making better progress, but that's life.

It is very hard to get more than 6-7 hours of sleep at college, I've tried; normal for me is 6 hours. I've gone to bed at 10:30 various nights, only to fall asleep by 1-1:30 because of roommates (I have three). Some of my roommates' friends come over at 12 too, which sucks. Only one of them understands the need for sleep since he does CF (starting SS in one week), but the rest are loud. Doesn't help that they all have later classes than I do.

Here's what you do:

Sometime between 1 and 6 everyday find a quiet place on campus and take a nap. I went to school full-time, worked part time, and made good grades. I was also a music major which meant 4 - 5 hours of daily practice in addition to all of the other reading/studying. Usually after lunch, I would study or practice for an hour or two and then find someplace in the library to sleep for ~ 1 hour. After that I would finish practice/studying - eat dinner - practice some more and then go out drinking
Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Here's what you do:

Sometime between 1 and 6 everyday find a quiet place on campus and take a nap. I went to school full-time, worked part time, and made good grades. I was also a music major which meant 4 - 5 hours of daily practice in addition to all of the other reading/studying. Usually after lunch, I would study or practice for an hour or two and then find someplace in the library to sleep for ~ 1 hour. After that I would finish practice/studying - eat dinner - practice some more and then go out drinking
If I take a nap anytime during the day I have a hard time falling asleep at night. It sucks because tuesday and thursday I am done class by 12:45 and have a good amount of free time, but I can't sleep. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Went to bed at 11 last night, roommate went to bed at 1 and woke me up coming into the room because our door creaks alot. Spent the next hour trying to fall asleep...good thing thanksgiving and christmas break are soon I need some sleep.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
If I take a nap anytime during the day I have a hard time falling asleep at night. It sucks because tuesday and thursday I am done class by 12:45 and have a good amount of free time, but I can't sleep. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Went to bed at 11 last night, roommate went to bed at 1 and woke me up coming into the room because our door creaks alot. Spent the next hour trying to fall asleep...good thing thanksgiving and christmas break are soon I need some sleep.

I understand - just trying to help.

You know - it sounds like you're already not sleeping at night ... I'd sneak in a nap every so often.

Other than that - eat alot and lift heavy.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
Nathan Munson

Profile:

Hey Gang,

Couldn't help but to chime in. I just came out of grad school, was a music major, and have 3 sons that don't sleep through the night... something in common with all of you. All of the advice on sleep is good, if you can make yourself adjust. As far as the cost of milk goes, I have a membership at Costco where milk is $2/gallon. My biggest challenge in getting stronger is consistently overcoming obstacles and dismantling my excuses -- which I'm really good at coming up with!

Great progress, by the way. Keep it up as best as you can.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Munson View Post
Hey Gang,

Couldn't help but to chime in. I just came out of grad school, was a music major, and have 3 sons that don't sleep through the night... something in common with all of you. All of the advice on sleep is good, if you can make yourself adjust. As far as the cost of milk goes, I have a membership at Costco where milk is $2/gallon. My biggest challenge in getting stronger is consistently overcoming obstacles and dismantling my excuses -- which I'm really good at coming up with!

Great progress, by the way. Keep it up as best as you can.
What do you play and where did you study?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
Nathan Munson

Profile:

Quote:
What do you play and where did you study?
I'm a singer... but I hack away at the piano. I come from a long line of family members who play brass...so I sort of stick out.

I got my masters from the University of Kentucky, and am mostly done with my DMA from the University of Illinois.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #19
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Munson View Post
I'm a singer... but I hack away at the piano. I come from a long line of family members who play brass...so I sort of stick out.

I got my masters from the University of Kentucky, and am mostly done with my DMA from the University of Illinois.
Good work! Also, good luck with finishing your DMA.

I studied classical piano at the Univ. of North Texas. Earned a Bach of Arts - now, I'm a computer programmer.... go figure.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
I understand - just trying to help.

You know - it sounds like you're already not sleeping at night ... I'd sneak in a nap every so often.

Other than that - eat alot and lift heavy.
I'll give a nap another try, hopefully I'll adjust. I am definitely making sure I eat enough, it has probably offset the lack of sleep, but more sleep would help.