CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Mark Wood

Profile:
Motivating people

I've been training people twice a week for the past month and they turn up physically, but mentally they are in a world of their own.

There is a few who almost bring themselves to tears every time, but others are just I feel are turning up to say to their friends they are getting fit...

Some chat while I'm talking about the workout, or about something important, and its really starting to annoy me.

I think the "honeymoon" period is over and I will start to see who is and isn't commited. I know I can't make people love Crossfit as much as me, but has anybody got any tips to help them get involved?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Sam Ser

Profile:
Re: Motivating people

mark, i don't know you, so don't take this the wrong way... i think you have to ask yourself honestly whether something about the way you present yourself and your training might give some people the impression that this isn't really great, or really important, or even really fun. you may be able to get those slackers -- and everyone else -- to focus more and train harder by being more engaging, or by changing up what you're doing. perhaps doing team-style WODs or adversarial WODs will help. or maybe some people are feeling a little overwhelmed and would appreciate some more remedial, back-to-basics work. i don't know. but that's something that you'll have to figure out.

on the other hand, the problem could be with those people. it's tough to accept, but you can't always get someone on the same page as you and your better clients. in that case, your only fault is letting them stay and rub off on the others. you may have to tell those uninterested clients to leave. now, you can choose different words -- maybe you'll explain that you feel you can't serve them properly, or that it seems they're looking for a different kind of training environment, or whatever... the point is that you need to preserve the sense that what you have to offer is worthwhile, and that those who are not genuinely interested in it can not be allowed to distract those who are.

given the choice between a small group of people who appreciate their time with you and are enthusiastic about it, and a slightly larger group that includes people who don't care much about it all, you'll be much better off in the long run with the small and dedicated group. they'll be your ambassadors. and they'll make the time you spend training them and preparing to train them so much more enjoyable.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Folks like that don't stick around at our facility.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Welcome to being a trainer.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
John Barry

Profile:

Burpees
If people are screwing off durring instruction burpees for he class.
If form goes to **** when we are focusing on skill work burpees for the class.

We have 90% the same people who attend the 7pm class every day, and we hate burpees.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
given the choice between a small group of people who appreciate their time with you and are enthusiastic about it, and a slightly larger group that includes people who don't care much about it all, you'll be much better off in the long run with the small and dedicated group. they'll be your ambassadors. and they'll make the time you spend training them and preparing to train them so much more enjoyable.
Yep -- and I also agree with mixing up WODs and doing some "team" style events where people must rely on each other to get the WOD finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Folks like that don't stick around at our facility.
Definitely -- too much work/punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Chapman View Post
Welcome to being a trainer.
Love this -- and it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Barry View Post
Burpees
If people are screwing off durring instruction burpees for he class.
If form goes to **** when we are focusing on skill work burpees for the class.

We have 90% the same people who attend the 7pm class every day, and we hate burpees.
This I totally agree with. Plain and simple: I don't allow slacking off when I am running a WOD. I also run my warm-ups as strictly as I run my WODs -- actually, I run them more strictly, because there is no music blaring in the background.

If someone starts chatting with someone else during a WOD (metcons, that is), I am pretty quick to nip it in the bud with a statement like, "Are you done? I didn't hear you call time." Or, "If you are talking, you aren't focusing on the WOD. Less talking - more working!"

Burpees... I must re-institute the burpee penalty! Although, I must admit that I am partial to Toes 2 Bar these days.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Harrie Weidenbacher

Profile:

I'm a CF newbie for sure, but I do know that if there were people in my classes chatting while the WOD was going on, I'd feel angry about it. I need to concentrate on what the instructor is saying and on the WOD itself, and that would distract me. Tell them it's not fair to the rest of the folks!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Mark Wood

Profile:

The problem at this stage is it is just twice a week. They asked me to train them while their kids get coached in AFL.

I have a few of them really into it, but even these people chat during the workout. Maybe it has something to do with disrespect because I'm 21.

I will try the punishment idea.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Tony Black

Profile:

Have a look at the Boz videos he mentions when hes coaching he has to "project" alot more. Perhaps concentrating on using your tone of voice to command attention - your in a leadership position afterall.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Tony Young

Profile:

Burpees aren't punishment, they're, in the words of Coach Burgener, "motivational consequences".

Some people are never going to "get it" in terms of intensity. They'll just plod. And that's OK provided they don't distract the rest of your group. They help pay the rent. Talking during training, however, deserves "motivational consequences".