CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Aaron Herzog

Profile:
balance of veggies vs fruit on paleo zone

Ive been zoning for a while now and like it. I plan on making the switch to paleo this week. I've read that most of your carbs should come from veggies, but i was wondering if anyone had a rough ratio of your percent of your carb blocks should from from veggie and what percent should come from fruits. I'm at about 18 blocks and the thought of eating a majority of those as veggies just seems like a crazy amount of food.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: balance of veggies vs fruit on paleo zone

I wouldn't worry about it...if the veggies fill you up too much eat more fruit...If the fruit fills you up eat more fat.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
I wouldn't worry about it...if the veggies fill you up too much eat more fruit...If the fruit fills you up eat more fat.
Thanks for the advice! I'm probably just over complicating things.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Hey Aaron,

I don't think I ever get more carbs from veggies but I try and eat some at every meal. You wouldn't happen to be xfiting out at hitter's would you? If so I saw you workout the other day.

Personally I tried the zone, it's not enough food and believe quality of food is more important than anything. I do eat about 90% Paleo. I still WAM (weigh and measure in case you didn't know) just because I probably wouldn't eat enough if I didn't.

Personally I feel pretty well right now eating 180g pro, 120-140g carbs, and 170-200g fat, with a 2-3 full on cheat meals a week. I weigh 191-192. I feel recovered, set new PR's and am still leaning out. Track what you eat using fitday.com(wfs) for a while and track your workouts. Once you begin to stop setting PR's adjust your diet. Play around with it a while till you find out what works well for you.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post
Hey Aaron,

I don't think I ever get more carbs from veggies but I try and eat some at every meal. You wouldn't happen to be xfiting out at hitter's would you? If so I saw you workout the other day.

Personally I tried the zone, it's not enough food and believe quality of food is more important than anything. I do eat about 90% Paleo. I still WAM (weigh and measure in case you didn't know) just because I probably wouldn't eat enough if I didn't.

Personally I feel pretty well right now eating 180g pro, 120-140g carbs, and 170-200g fat, with a 2-3 full on cheat meals a week. I weigh 191-192. I feel recovered, set new PR's and am still leaning out. Track what you eat using fitday.com(wfs) for a while and track your workouts. Once you begin to stop setting PR's adjust your diet. Play around with it a while till you find out what works well for you.
Hey Eric,
Ya i just started at hitters last week. Ive been doing MGB (monkey bar gym) for about the past 9 months and was cross-fitting at hyper-fit in AA,MI for about a year before that.

Zone is working pretty well for me, im down about 80 lbs from my heaviest 2 years ago, and BF% is way better then it was back then. My energy levels are good and still building strength. Im going to try to make the switch to paleo because lately Ive been having some joint soreness. I'm hoping that getting rid of the gluten and dairy with Paleo will help with that.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Matt Charney

Profile:

Concerning the joint pain what is your omega-3 intake? I've seen dramatic changes in elderly arthritis and my one person knees issues by increasing the fish oil.

I'm 90% paleo/zone. B;F 1 block veggies 2 blocks fruit extra 3 blocks of fat for the missing carb block. L; 2-3 blocks of carbs with balance fruit. D; 3-4 blocks of veggies most of the time. Sometimes 1 block of fruit for dessert.
Most snacks are fruit or no carbs with 3 extra blocks of fat instead of carbs.

I tried a 30 day strict paleo, didn't have any issues with dairy after trying it after the 30 days. Gluten is very rare for me even when I was just Zone.

Strict Zone with all foods from the favourable food list is 90% paleo.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Charney View Post
Concerning the joint pain what is your omega-3 intake? I've seen dramatic changes in elderly arthritis and my one person knees issues by increasing the fish oil.
Pretty sure my omega-3's are fine. I try to eat fish 2-3 times per week, and days that i don't i will supplement a teaspoon for liquid fish oil.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Matt Charney

Profile:

I'm talking 5 plus grams of Omega 3 minimum every day. Robb Wolf & Barry Sears both recommend even more than that depending on the issues. I remember numbers like 15g for neuro stuff not joint related.

With my mother in laws arthritis we didn't see much change at 2-3g when we started getting close to 5g was when the changes happened.

There is a ton of info on the oils and recommended brands in this forum.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Drew Barquist

Profile:

In the Zone book it says you should try to get 2:1 ratio of veggies to fruit. Understandably this is hard to do sometimes, but you're going to get as much out of it as you put into it, so try to get at least half your carbs from veggies. Some really stuff you up if you eat them raw, including mushrooms, broccoli, cabbage, and lettuces. Tomatoes are a good choice, I've found them easier to eat, especially the cherry ones. Veggies are also easier to eat if you cook them, but again, this takes time some people don't have. I think that the best way to do it would be to eat veggies all day, use only fruits in the meal immediately after your workout and try to get half your carbs for the day then. I also eat a plain yogurt (no added sugar) with five types of probiotics each day. Probiotics only last a short time in your body so I eat dairy once a day. I started doing this, because previously, I had bad diarrhea on the zone, from what I can only assume was I wasn't digesting the large amounts of veggies quickly enough. The yogurt fixed this problem instantly, so I would recommend it to anyone having similar problems as well. Hope this helps!