CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Myron Hensel

Profile:
I am considering making a pegboard to put up in the garage which has brick walls. I would like to know proper procedure and materials for making a pegboard that will last a lifetime. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
Nick Massman

Profile:
I purchased one from wolverine sports online store and it is made of maple and very nice they have a variety of hole configurations and sizes check those out for design ideas. Definitely use hard wood or steel on the front, it will hold up to the beating you give it when your heart rate is at 190bpm and you are scrapping for the next hole.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Aptdwler

Profile:

I looked into making one. I'd recommend attaching 2X4 to the brick, then using several layers of 3/4 inch plywood for the peg holes. Making the holes is tricky. They need to be at a slight angle downward, so the peg doesn't slip out. I'll check on the angle. I think it is 10%. That is where I abandon the project. Without a drill press, it would be tough to get the holes at an angle, consistantly....

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining
Old 03-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Brick walls are tricky. I think you might need a rock drill, or at least a good drill and a rock bit. At the same time I'm not sure if you can thread the brick (don't think you can). I'm also not sure how to put in some form of heavy duty screw or bolt. Maybe you should contact a contractor or construction buddy if you have one. Something is telling me that the bolt or screw actually needs to be drilled in to the wall. Wish I could be of more help. Try contacting the Crossfit fabricator, I think his email is on the main page, Nick Massman I believe.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Anchoring 2x4's into brick is easy. If it's red brick I'd just use more anchors of smaller diameter; red brick isn't terribly strong. Some cinder block is extremely strong. There are many anchors to choose from, I usually use lag shields and lag screws as I find them easiest to work with.

If you want to drill the holes at an angle, you could use a drill press to make a jig, or you could use a drill guide. These are moderately priced ($35 or so) and are useful for many other things. Sometimes it is difficult to start a large hole at a sharp angle, but I think at 10 degrees you'll have no trouble. Milwaukee makes a modified forstner bit that would probably work very well.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #6
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Wow, I feel dumb didn't notice that Nick posted right before I suggested you contact him.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:52 AM   #7
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Brian,
How do you anchor in to brick or cinder block? What do you need?
Old 03-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
Aptdwler

Profile:

I finally found the book that I got the info from. It is "Make Your Own Exercise Equipment" by Jack Wiley. Copies are still available at amazon. It is ok book. Spends about 1/2 on bikes and 1/4 on tools. It does have a good design for a peg board. It might be available at a large library. I don't think new copies are being made but it is still under copyright.

The design uses 2x8, 1x4 and 2x4s. 1 1/2 inch peg holes 8 inches apart, at a 10 degree angle downward. The dowels are 8 inches long 1 7/16 diameter.

Hope that helps. If your going to make one, idea consider finding the book. The diagram is useful...
Old 03-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
Brian Hand

Profile:

Jason,

I like lag shields and lag screws, they are available at any hardware store. I like them because if you remove the screws and leave the shields in the material, they don't stick up.

Another option (maybe better for this application) is an expansion anchor, sometimes called a Redhead (this is a popular brand of expansion anchor). These are a little simpler, but less forgiving of errors, so measure twice! These too are available at hardware stores, Home Depot etc.

This might be the right one:
http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/s...p?ProdID=60217

Don't forget your washers!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Thanks Brian your knowledge of construction could go a long way around here and it is always appreciated.