CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Stephane Rochet

Profile:  
I learned a drill from Ethan Reeve, Head Strength Coach at Wake Forest University, that definitely fits with the CrossFit philosophy.
Coach Reeve was an All-American wrestler and he used this drill and continues to use it with wrestlers and martial artists. It is called the 10 minute drill. Here is how to do it:
Load a barbell with your desired weight (start light for the first try!). Set up your stop watch. Now, each set will be made up of a power clean (PC) to hang clean (HC) to power clean (PC). You will do this every 30 seconds for 10 minutes. So, start your stopwatch and do a PC-HC-PC. These reps should take about 10-12 seconds. (Attack the weight and move it as fast as you can and transition through the reps quickly. You do not want to fall behind.) You now get to rest for 18-20 seconds. When your watch hits 30 seconds, do another set: PC-HC-PC. Rest until your watch hits 1:00, then go again. Continue this pattern every 30 seconds (1:30,2:00,2:30,3:00...) Your last set will be at 9:30. At this time, you should be pretty tired as you will have done 60 reps on the clean in 10 minutes. The goal is to use your bodyweight on the bar. Start light and work up. Have fun. Feel free to use DB's or KB's for this drill. You can also mix up the exercises, but the clean is very effective.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Stephane-
This looks painful! Welcome and thanks for the WO.
Robb
Old 03-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

Simple 10 minute drill

24kg KB

10 minutes of snatches - switch hands as much as you want, rest in the overhead or arms at side position as much as you want (the clock is running!), no putting them down, no racking or resting them anywhere on the body.

This is how they will be contested in upcoming Tactical Strength Challenges and the Agents at various neferious agencies are now using this as a fitness test.

I've done 200 w/ 24kg and 95 w/ 32kg.

The guy who trains the agents who can't be named has done 230.

Bill
Old 03-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Stephane
Curious as to why the Hang Clean after the Power Clean?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Stephane Rochet

Profile:  
Good question. First, adding a hang clean just provides a little variety. Most important, especially for athletes, is that it forces you to absorb the shock of the barbell as you let it drop from the rack position to upper thighs and then immmediately reverse this direction of the bar with a viscious pull. A very athletic maneuver that also helps to build strength in the traps, back and hips. Finally, PC-HC-PC just has a nice smooth rhytm to it as you get going.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I really like complexes. The Javorek stuff is great. When you compare a basic gymnastics routine and complexes they look remarkably similar.
Robb
Old 03-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #7
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Unfortunately I always find myself absorbing the shock after doing a hang clean, power clean, or C&J. My gym has no bumper plates and a really big sign (that I assume they put up because of me) that says "DO NOT DROP THE WEIGHTS."
Old 03-15-2004, 09:18 AM   #8
AARON FISHER

Profile:  
I tried this the other night before going out. I only had 15 minutes available by the time i finished work, and thought of this session. It works well, gets you sweating and gives a great pump

Another two good ten minute combos from another site are: 10 minutes to do as many pull ups and burpees as posible. Or alternativly 10 minutes to do squats, press ups and burpees continuously with no rest allowed. That should get the metabolism going!!