CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Kris Freeman

Profile:
For some reason (guessing hip/hamstring flexability) it is hard for me to do squats rock bottom or even slightly past parallel. I really want to perform squats properly, and was wondering what I could do to improve technique? I was thinking of incorporating HSPU's and Pistols in GTG and hoping working on pistols will also help my squatting ability as well. If anyone has any thoughts, experience, or ideas feel free to post. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Go light and concentrate your efforts on proper form rather than weight. I don't know if this can be emphasized enough. I would also suggest incorporating overhead squats as part of the warm-up routine preceeding all WODs.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2004, 11:25 PM   #3
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

One thing that has helped me a lot in this department is box squats. Find a box just short of your current sticking point and let yourself touch the box at the bottom of your squat. It is very important that you pay strict attention to your form, as the tight muscles will tend to want to round your back. As you start to loosen up, progressively use lower and lower boxes. I agree with Patrick about the lighter weight. If you lapse in your form at all with heavier weight, you are going to get hurt doing this. Get the form down before you start adding weight. OH squats are great, but in my experience, if you are tight on the squats, OH squats will be damn near impossible.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
Kris Freeman

Profile:
I've been implementing OH Squats in my "offcial" crossfit warmpup and tonight I noticed my form is coming around. I'm only using a wooden stick, but learning to pull the bar back and outward with my shoulder blades keeps the bar in-check, so to speak. Thanks for the tips, and I also have been using a box, will probably go lower next week.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
With the OHS, try using some weight on the bar as soon as possible. This will force you to keep the bar aligned directly over your center of gravity, encouraging good technique. With a weightless bar, it's easy to get the bar out of the groove.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Ok, will do. Should I tap my butt to the box for box OH's, or should I rest momentarliy in bottom position? Thanks all for suggestions. Crossfit rocks!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

In my experience, resting on the box tends to unload the core stabilizers, so I wouldn't reccomend it. Use the box more as a measure of depth and a "spotter" than as a place to rest.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I would also address issues of ankle, hip flexor, hamstring flexibility. I know it's frowned upon but stretch the quads, hams, gastrocs and ankles prior to squatting and see if there is a diffrence in rom.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I've actually found that wallball has really improved my quad flexibility.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I use a soft foam block to mark my low point.