CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-03-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

Since doing O-lifts with barbells simply destroys my surgically impaired wrist, I am just replacing them with Dumbells.

What are everyone's thoughts on DB O-lifting(snatches, cleans) vs barbell? I understand that the barbells will allow for heavier lifts, but I think the stabilizers are worked better with dumbells. Is there anything important I will miss out on by not using barbells, besides a third wrist surgery?

Cheers

Roy
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Dan John

Profile:

I wrote an article on one handed O lifts and it is on my website somewhere. Bottom line: I like 'em a lot. I get a lot out of them. The problem is that you get this "notion" that "with a bar, I could do twice as much." I figured that a one handed d-bell lift was as high as 70% of a two handed barbell lift.

I have the bad left wrist, too. I'm not sure how much better d-bells and K-bells are for a bad wrist...I think you need to do bar stuff for the bad wrist because the bar doesn't turn suddenly because of some other factor (rotation, tired elbows, freaky k-bell workout...)

I love them, really, but I try to keep a good perspective on one handed things.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Dan, I was doing two handed hang squat clean and jerks today with dumbells, and I have to say, they are just like the barbell, IMO, but the jerk is a lot harder. They are also a hell of a lot safer and my wrist(my bad wrist is the right) is not throbbing with pain right now! I truly love these. The 1 arm snatch is now my favorite exercise and im working on turning it into a full squat snatch. Right now, its the quarter squat snatch. Have you ever tried a snatch with two dumbells? Im sure as hell not ready!

Cheers

Roy
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

Roy, you might like the 1-hand barbell snatch. I thought it would be harder, but it is actually easier than the db snatch. You might think balance will be an issue, but it is not hard to balance. It is easy on the wrist, too.