CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-24-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
bill fox

Profile:

I'm going to get a set of your rings as soon as we move into our new house - hopefully June at the rate it's going - but I'm going to start using the ring's at Maxwells now.

My instinct would be to use a "natural" grip and let the arms rotate on the way up.

Is this what you do or do you some chin, some pullup etc...

Was thinking of also doing some from the "false" grip to work on the muscle up.

Tips

Bill
Old 02-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Bill,
Exactly. Everyone will be slightly different. I usually go from a half pullup/half neutral grip at the bottom to a chin-up grip at the top. So my hands do the corkscrew motion that Pavel often talks about.
And false grip pullups are an awesome way to train for a muscle-up. Most people find it difficult to hold that grip and maintain it. And it's also hard at first to generate pulling power in that position. So it's a great exercise. You will find that to hold them at a dead hang, you actually turn the rings out. As you pull up, you rotate them all the way around again. But most people, when doing repetition muscle-ups, don't go all the way down to the point where they have to turn the rings out.
As for more tips, there was an early CF journal about muscle-ups, an article I wrote in the current power athletes mag and of course, lots of great threads here. I do about 10, so I'm far from being the muscle-up champion around here:-)

Tyler
www.ringtraining.com
Old 02-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

Thanks for the response.

Did the pullups tonight pretty much as you described. Did some in L position too.

The dips were damn hard though!

Good stuff

Bill
Old 02-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Tyler,

I wonder how the feel of doing Pull-ups on the rings is different than a regular bar? It must be quite strange at first.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Ben,
The feel is really not too different compared to a bar. Most people lose a few reps, because the rings tend to negate any swinging of the body. Kipping is still possible, but swinging no longer helpful.
The biggest difference is just that you can rotate and move the handles. This allows me to do more than I can on bars, but it's mostly beacause I'm weird. I usually give in because my elbow hurts, so that is probably why. And also just because I do most of my practicing on rings, so I am pretty comfortable with the feel of the rings.

However, the difference is nowhere near as pronounced as the difference between dips on rings and dips on parallel bars. Whoa! It is a whole world of difference.
I will be at the Arnold fitness expo next week displaying the Power Rings and I am just dying to see the bodybuilders try ring dips. I am tempted to set up a hidden camera:-)

Tyler
www.ringtraining.com
Old 02-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Tyler,

Do the hidden camera thing, then after the attempts get their permission for use of the video. It would be a great advert clip.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Roger,
Good idea! Maybe I could also sell bodybuilder falling on his face t-shirts, coffee mugs and posters.
I will be in the Torque Athletic booth, so I will have to check with those guys to see if it's cool to do the hidden camera thing. But if I can, I'll do it:-)

Tyler
Old 02-28-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Jay Swan

Profile:
I made a set of rings using the 14-gauge picture wire method that I found in the archives.

Now, my next question is: how long will be until my arms stop feeling like they're going to pop out of their sockets when I do dips?

I could do only a couple of reps, and it's kind of scary; I feel like there's a real chance of injury.

It's been a while since I've done bar dips, but I remember getting 12-15 reps no problem.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Jay,
Your arms should never feel like that. See a doctor. I think it's more of a medical problem than an equipment problem.
You might stop doing dips and just hold supports instead until you get used to it, but I wouldn't do anything before you have your elbow checked out.

Tyler
www.ringtraining.com
Old 02-29-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
Jay Swan

Profile:
Tyler--sorry to be vague. I'm not feeling any pain, and it's not in my elbows. Rather, I feel an odd sort of instability in my shoulder joints. I've never had any shoulder injuries, so I was guessing that it's just weak stabilizers.