CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
From Coach Sommer's article. Just thought people might be interested in this: Here's a fun circuit I invented today with the exercises given in that article:

5 sec L hold
5 sec tucked L hold
5 sec tuck planche hold
1 or 2 tuck planche pushups
5 sec tuck planche hold
5 sec tuck L hold
5 sec L hold

I do these on my paralettes.

How does it sound? Anyone made up anything else interesting you can do with those? I'm looking for any way to improve this, as 1. they are awesome, and 2. they are awesome.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Just keep bumping up the difficulty on the skills. Eg take the L to a V, take the V to a Manna. Take the tucked planche to an open tuck planche to a straddle planche to a straight body planche. There's a lifetime of things to work on.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
James Taft

Profile:

Kevin. Where can I get this article by Coach Sommers? Also, does anybody know where you can find good pictures of some of these skills. I went to Drills and Skills and could not find pictures of some of the techniques (i.e. manna, planche, etc.). I really want to start incorporating some of these skills. Thanks

Jim
Old 03-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...&articleid=229

That should be it.

Also go to american-gymnast.com and look at the parrlettes training manual -free.

Bill
Old 03-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
John McCracken

Profile:
Jim,

Here are a few links to some of my previous posts which might be helpful in this regard.

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=1609#POST1609

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=2785#POST2785

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=6117#POST6117

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=2943#POST2943

When going to some of the Dragon Door links, you may need to look under "articles" and browse the "bodyweight strength training" section. The older links in some of these previous posts nolonger go directly to these articles.

Hope this helps,

John
Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
James Taft

Profile:

John. Thanks alot for those links. It looks like you are doing a great service to all by providing this information. I went to West Point and one of the things we had to do as freshman was to take a Gymnastics course for 1/3 of the year. I learned a heck of a lot and had so much fun in that course. One of the things the instructor (also the Men's Gymnastics coach at the time) showed me was old manuals of cadets doing Gymnastic type movements on a daily basis for PT. It's a shame how things have changed so dramatically over the last 80 years. I was fortunate to be roomates with the men's gymnastics team captain my senior year. Scott, was a stud beyond belief. I remember going up to their training facility and working out with them. They made the stuff look so easy! I think back now and regret not picking his brain. Well, at least I found this place. I commend everyone on this website for committing to this mode of training and helping others to see its benefits.

Jim
Old 03-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

Gentlemen,
I am glad that you have found my article useful.
The potential combinations of these exercises are endless. These are of course only two of a multitude of available exercises.

I have several more articles in the pipeline for Dragondoor. Lately I have also been posting quite a bit on the Dragondoor forum (today's postings include a response to a question on lower back/core conditioning). Perhaps you will find some of the material useful.

On another note, I find the Crossfit concept
to be very intriguing (actually the 400m lunges with the push/jerks from the past summer intimidated the .... out of me!). I have reviewed, and am continuing to review, the workouts from the previous year and am still gaining a general understanding of the workout template.

I feel that crossfit is definetly onto something regarding the intertwining of strength and speed/sprint/interval training. On reading, Mark Twight's puzzlement regarding his unexpected endurance and strength results, I could certainly empathize. In the near future, I would like to post some personal experiences of my own from gymnastics training that have puzzled me for years, where the end results in endurance (ran 21 miles on a whim without training, yet never ran farther than 80 feet in the gym) and strength (weighted chins with 55lbs without ever having done them before and only bodyweight conditioning prior) were completely out of line with what should have been expected.

Please feel free to email me or post here with any questions or observations you may have.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...&articleid=229
Old 03-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Coach

Profile:

Coach Sommers,

You will never find a more appreciative or receptive audience than here at CrossFit.

Please, share with us anything you're willing to share. Our forum needs your inputs and experiences.

That workout last summer is the only embarassment in the lot. I'd take it back if I could.

Greg Glassman
CrossFit
Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
Coach

Profile:

Coach and all,

Check this link out that Steve Hoglund just posted elsewhere (Thanks Steve). This is certainly on topic: http://www.usrowing.org/itemdisplay.asp?id=1134

This is the first step to others examining even more potent/higher intensity stimuli - a step in the right direction. The professors are catching up!

Old 03-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
21 miles.

On a whim.