CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Richard Davidson

Profile:
Re: Squat form check

Mark Rippetoe recommends putting the bar as shown in the attached drawing. If I understand, you recommend the bar at approximately the short black line. Is this right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	3912  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davidson View Post
Mark Rippetoe recommends putting the bar as shown in the attached drawing. If I understand, you recommend the bar at approximately the short black line. Is this right?
The black line is the top of the deltoid. The ideal position is no more than one inch (2 cm?) below that line. If you're not comfortable at that position, try putting it slightly higher.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #23
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
It should be located somewhere between the top of the scapulae and the top of the shoulder.
Rippetoe actually recommends it to be below the spine of the scapulae. If you reach your right hand over your left shoulder and feel the back of your shoulder you should find a spiny ridge that runs fairly perpendicular to your spinal cord. This is the spine of your scapulae. Put the bar just below it.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Rippetoe actually recommends it to be below the spine of the scapulae. If you reach your right hand over your left shoulder and feel the back of your shoulder you should find a spiny ridge that runs fairly perpendicular to your spinal cord. This is the spine of your scapulae. Put the bar just below it.
That's what I thought, and was trying to say in #19, but the bar seems low there.

Should this be the same as raising the elbows in the back and placing the bar at the top of the back of the arms near the shoulder joint, just above the rear delt "bump"?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davidson View Post
Should this be the same as raising the elbows in the back and placing the bar at the top of the back of the arms near the shoulder joint, just above the rear delt "bump"?
Yeah that sounds about right to me. If you search around a bit you may be able to find a video by Brandon Oto that does a great job of demonstrating how to find the Low Bar position. I have posted it a couple times but don't have the time to dig around for it right now.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #26
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
If you search around a bit you may be able to find a video by Brandon Oto that does a great job of demonstrating how to find the Low Bar position. I have posted it a couple times but don't have the time to dig around for it right now.
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27532 wfs

Alas, the link is dead.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #27
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Here's a revised link:

http://degreesofclarity.com/fitness/...k_tutorial.mov wfs (torso with no shirt)

Thanks Brandon!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
Mike Onghena

Profile:

Richard,
I'm a newbie and am not in any position to critique your form, however, I noticed on your earlier videos you did not have the safety stops in the cage set. A little scary as it looked like you were struggling near the end in your first posted video. What would have happened if you failed completely at the bottom, or had a back spasm or something?

It seemed better in a later vid, but I'm not sure if you did that or, thats what the last guy in the cage did. While warming up bar-only, I always test the stops (breaking form as I put them a few inches below where I can get cleanly), just to insure I have them set reasonably.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #29
David Gray

Profile:

Richard, I haven't posted in a while, but yes, the picture is a fair depiction of where the bar should rest with your elbows back and raised. It sounds like you and Robert figured out the spot, but you won't feel the muscular shelf there without raising your elbows back... which means you must also tighten your shoulders, drawing the blades closer together... which means you must force your chest up, too. It's a package, it draws the whole torso together tightly, and once you become accustomed to it you will find your stability greatly strengthened.

Between your knees, feet and shoulders, there are a lot of parts to keep track of. It will take time, every lift will have something different flawed in it, but do the warm-up sets carefully, with utmost concentration on form. Done regularly, you won't have to think about anything on the work sets except KNEES OUT HIP DRIVE. Don't be too hard on yourself, you're going to get it all together, and it will be like day and night when you do.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #30
Richard Davidson

Profile:

I believe I've found the right bar position. The Brandon Oto video was very helpful, especially the suggestion to essentially roll the bar down your back until you find the "shelf" created by the raised rear delts.

Focusing on all the cues and causing my body to implement them is a challenge, but with practice I hope to eventually get it right.
  1. Chest up, tight back - check, but should work on flat wrists
  2. Knees out - check
  3. Adequate depth - sometimes I'm a bit above parallel - requires more work to get a feel for the bottom
  4. Stay on heels - should help me stay in balance and not have the bar go forward as I rise - requires more work
  5. Knees forward position - they don't go too far forward and stop moving forward by the bottom. This seems ok (at some point I'll worry about having them stop in the first third of the descent and not move back until the last third of the ascent, but this seems a low priority)
  6. Don't lead with the chest on the way up - check
  7. Safety stops in safe place
  8. Feel hip drive - other than following the positional cues, I have no idea