CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Richard Davidson

Profile:
Re: Squat form check

To keep the bar over the middle of the foot, do I want a slightly more vertical back angle, or is there another adjustment I should be making?

The other thing I can think of is trying to hold the bar a bit lower on my back, but I believe I'm holding it in the right place.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davidson View Post
To keep the bar over the middle of the foot, do I want a slightly more vertical back angle, or is there another adjustment I should be making?

The other thing I can think of is trying to hold the bar a bit lower on my back, but I believe I'm holding it in the right place.
To keep the bar over the middle of the foot you need to put more weight on your heels. You are leaning forward slightly; this is more pronounced as the weight gets heavier. Try doing overhead squats with just the bar or a wooden dowel. The bar/dowel has to be directly over the middle of the foot. If it isn't, you will find yourself falling forward or backward. Hold the bar overhead and become aware of the pressure on your feet. Then squat with the bar overhead and maintain your balance. Do this as a warm-up before the back squat. When you back squat, pay attention to the pressure on your feet and make sure that it feels the same as in the overhead squat.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Any better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJ8zd1lJbw
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davidson View Post
It's getting better. Now you need to keep practicing to consistently do it. You balance varies from one rep to another, although it got better when you put weight on the bar. You have the bar positioned high up on your shoulders which reduces the margin of error when your balance is off. This is called a high bar squat or a training squat. You might want to try positioning the bar about an inch or two lower.

An alternative is to vary your stance. Either widen it by one or two inches or point your toes out to the side some more. Because of the camera angle, it is not possible to see the angle your feet are at, so that may not work for you. Make sure to keep your knees moving in a line over the heel and toe; some lifters have a tendency to let their knees collapse inward. Push your knees out to keep this from happening.

You may need to get weightlifting shoes. I say that because you have a tendency to move forward as you come up out of the squat. Next time you squat, try putting 2 1/2- or 5-pound plates under your heals and see if that makes a difference. If it does, you should get weightlifting shoes.

Try these suggestions one at a time for a week or two. Changes to lifting technique should be done carefully. If you make too many changes at once, you will not be able to identify which change made the difference.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
It's getting better. Now you need to keep practicing to consistently do it.
Watching myself, I was surprised at how inconsistent I am. I'm trying to focus, but will have to try harder.

Quote:
You have the bar positioned high up on your shoulders which reduces the margin of error when your balance is off. This is called a high bar squat or a training squat. You might want to try positioning the bar about an inch or two lower.
I'm trying to do Rippetoe's SS, so I should lower the bar. Alas, it's more comfortable where it is. I seem to be resting the bar just over the top of the scapula and it should be just under the top.

Quote:
Push your knees out to keep this from happening.
One of my focuses is "knees out." I'll try another camera angle next time to make sure I'm succeeding at this.

Quote:
You may need to get weightlifting shoes. I say that because you have a tendency to move forward as you come up out of the squat.
I'm wearing VS Dynamos, and "heels" is another cue. I may have to bring back "curl toes."

Thanks

BTW, the link is WFS
Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Michael Whities

Profile:

Maybe try a few barefooted? That way you can feel your weight on your toes or heels.

I'm a newbie, I just thought that might help you get a feel for what you are doing. That's what I'd do.

Michael
Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #17
Richard Davidson

Profile:
Re: Squat form check - bar position

Is the bar in a proper low bar position?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1hvEgNWHqA (wfs)

This feels a bit unnatural and it feels as if the bar may slip.

I realize heels are coming up a bit
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
Robert Callahan

Profile:

that bar position looks a little too low now. I would try playing around with it, you should find a place where you have a nice shelf on the posterior deltoids just below the spine of the scapulae.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #19
Richard Davidson

Profile:

As I push down into the muscle between my neck and the outside of the shoulder, I feel a horizontal ridge a few inches down. Is this the spine of the scapula?

I can't find any obvious shelf from my rear deltoids. I've seen this video, which is one of the clearest illustrations of low bar position I can find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZ1HzoH0Rw but I can't find the right spot on my body, perhaps because I don't have much deltoid muscle.

Any other suggestions beyond playing around?

Last edited by Richard Davidson : 04-12-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Your balance looked better in the last video, but, like Robert said, the bar was too low. It should be located somewhere between the top of the scapulae and the top of the shoulder. The reference point on the shoulder for most people is the top of the shoulder joint. For most people, the deltoid is not a large muscle. To feel it, you may have to lift your arm out to the side.