CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Richard Davidson

Profile:
Squat form check

Comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to follow Rippetoe's SS form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uG5bKnKgc4

Beginning is with just a bar. Second half is with a bit too much weight for me, resulting in insufficient depth and struggle.

thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Squat form check

Your balance is too far forward. Try putting more weight on your heels. The bar should be moving in a vertical line that goes through your foot just in front of your ankle.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
David Gray

Profile:

Richard, as an older novice slightly more advanced than you, there's goods and others in that vid. Unweighted form looked pretty good as far as foot spacing, bar and head position goes, but your lumbar wasn't locked like you think it was, you were on the balls of your foot rather than your heels, and you weren't jamming your knees out enough. As a result, you had no hip drive as your knees came back out of the hole as fast as your hips rose. Everybody hears it--force the knees out and after the first third of the movement going down they should be over your toes and they should stay there until the last third of the movement going back up. When your knees are over your toes and pushed out, concentrate on squeezing your butt back, not down. That will build the tension in the hamstrings that will give you that hip drive. And stay on your heels, because if you roll forward you will lose all that hamstring tension and become stuck trying to push the weight up.

But the weighted squats scared me because you definitely didn't have your lumbar locked in extension. If you have SS, go back and read the section on lumbar extension, get on the floor and practice what he suggests. Don't worry about the depth if you have to loosen the extension to get there, depth will come. Practice until you can put your lumbar arch in extension and know what it feels like without any weight on your back.

So I'd suggest you concentrate on getting that lumbar tight first, then on keeping your knees out with all your effort, and the rest will start to follow. The reason your drive stalled halfway up was the knees/heels problem already seen in the unweighted squats. Fix them in that order--lumbar, knees, heels--and you'll be on your way.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Nice post David.

All I would add is think about puffing that chest up as much as you can. That will help lock that lumbar out and also force you to sink back more and keep your weight on your heels. This does not mean lead the movement by picking your chest up, but it does mean puff it up as big as you can and try to keep your nipples pointing forward throughout the movement.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Many thanks. Very nice post by David.

One question for the moment, regarding keeping knees out. I believe my knees are pointed in the same direction as my toes and my shins are vertical (in the left/right plane). If I jam them out further, they will be pointed outside my feet and my shins will lean out instead of being vertical. Am I missing something here?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Greg Pieris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davidson View Post
Many thanks. Very nice post by David.

One question for the moment, regarding keeping knees out. I believe my knees are pointed in the same direction as my toes and my shins are vertical (in the left/right plane). If I jam them out further, they will be pointed outside my feet and my shins will lean out instead of being vertical. Am I missing something here?
Nope, they're not in line. In your case, you need to concentrate on pushing push your knees out further than you think they need to be. I actually think your toes could point out a tad more too.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
David Gray

Profile:

Robert, I was thinking of just that "chest up" cue, but didn't want to overload Richard. However, that's just what he needs to incorporate.

Richard, you can't possibly push your knees outside of your feet, but by involving those muscles you prevent your knees from moving forward or back, which is what you wan't. When you succeed in this, you'll understand why.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Richard Davidson

Profile:

I'm thinking of practicing every day with an almost easy weight until I get the form down, especially lumbar, knees (keeping knees out and still after the first third) and balance. I can then start increasing weight when form is fixed, or at least in a tolerable range.

Does this make sense?

Even when I puff out and raise my chest to the point I worry about hyperextending, the lower back rounds a bit, so I clearly need more work.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

lose the the shoes too...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 03-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
Richard Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Murphy View Post
lose the the shoes too...
What don't you like about the shoes? They are not running shoes and the heels are not really compressible.