CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: My 1st month with a better diet and CF! Next 6 months!

Haha. Ok. Let me clarify. The calorie intake went up, but the food stayed the same. Except for maybe an increase in the amount of almonds I eat (which are packed with calories i found out).
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Hey Jason!
I was (and still am) a big boy starting CrossFit in December. I don't think I was as big as you, but I can say the following things about my progress:

1. My "sport" is professional wrestling.
2. I'm 5'11". I came in at 250 lbs, probably around 25% body fat (I'm not sure exactly because I didn't measure at the very beginning).
3. Maintaining my bad eating habits, my weight remained the same. However, I put on muscle and lost fat. I dropped to 24.1% body fat in a few weeks.
4. I switched to GOMAD and started supplementing protein along with other things. My weight increased to 257 lbs, while my body fat remained roughly the same.
5. Last week I got tired of struggling through things like bar dips and switched to a Paleo-hybrid, and am now down to 251 lbs (I'll be measuring body fat on Thursday night).

There's an interesting quote from Rippetoe in Starting Strength about big guys on a strength program not really seeing much change in weight, but really noticing it in body measurements. CF isn't strictly strength, per se, but you're probably seeing at least a little of this.
What's the timing on *when* you eat? Do you pay attention to when you're intaking carbs in relation to your workouts?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Gomez View Post
Hey Jason!

What's the timing on *when* you eat? Do you pay attention to when you're intaking carbs in relation to your workouts?
Nah I don't go that deep nor do I measure my food. Too much of a headache. I barely like tracking what I eat and what workouts I do each day in a little notebook.

I pretty much eat at the same time everyday though: noon and around 8:00 p.m.
8 is really the only time I have to eat at night. Because I get home from work around 530, get stuff done, go to the gym, get home, cook and eat.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Nah I don't go that deep nor do I measure my food. Too much of a headache. I barely like tracking what I eat and what workouts I do each day in a little notebook.

I pretty much eat at the same time everyday though: noon and around 8:00 p.m.
8 is really the only time I have to eat at night. Because I get home from work around 530, get stuff done, go to the gym, get home, cook and eat.
Alright. I'd suggest you continue with what's working for you for now, but consider taking small, healthy snacks with you to keep your insulin levels from spiking later on down the road. You'll know when that time is...your weight will level out and you won't be making as many gains.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

The funny thing is that my weight loss kind of slowed over the last week and a half since I added more calories. But I started doing the WoD's hard and my rugby performance increased greatly.
I wish I could get the performance increase and weight loss to work together though......
Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Anyway, what do you guys think of my starting point there?

Am I the fattest specimen you've seen starting this? I feel like it. Maybe that's part of my problem, negative self image.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Anyway, what do you guys think of my starting point there?

Am I the fattest specimen you've seen starting this? I feel like it. Maybe that's part of my problem, negative self image.
Oh no, definitely not. One of the guys in my group is 6'2", 408 lbs. We're working with him on Buttercup scaling. He's really hard to properly motivate because, due to his size, he sort of gave up on fitness long ago.
Keep motivated! Your best bet is to link up with a CrossFit community nearby, or get one of your friends involved. Accountability is *really* important, and it's easy to cheat yourself. It's much harder to cheat when someone else is watching and making the same effort you should be.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #18
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Whoo! CF continues to help me with rugby. I have had much better endurance at practice and in games than I ever did before.

And my wife is definitely on board with this too.

But, I do have one problem. My wife and I are doing this for "cosmetic" reasons too. We're both tired of being fat and looking fat. Not saying I want to be totally ripped with a 6-pack. But, I do want that gut you see in my pics to be totally gone. I know this is 80% nutrition and my nutrition has been completely overhauled. So I have that 80% part down.

But, I have a friend that does CF and other exercises and he's ripped and in great shape. He claims I won't burn enough fat and calories just doing CF to drop weight and look good.

Can anyone refute that? Does anybody agree with him?

I've been sticking to just the WoDs and throwing a nice tabata in here or there to help out my endurance. But, am I going to lose this unslightly beer gut looking thing doing just that?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #19
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Jason,

I am going to have to agree and disagree with your friend.

Have you heard around here that body composition and fitness is 90% diet and 10% exercise? Well it is true, and your friend is spot on if you have a diet isn't dialed in you aren't going to pull off a great body with just CF alone.

But where I disagree with your friend is if your diet is dialed in, and you are attacking the WODs with tenancity, you are going to have the body you want. Now, supplementing is always a great thing. Once you get really good at CF and your form is locked tight, I would add in some CFSB.

Here is how I would hit it if I were you.

Eat for performance - Give your body the right fuel it needs to do CF to your best and be the best rugby player you can be.

Chase performance - Start tracking your named WODs and your CFT, make a contract with yourself to beat your times from month to month.

Trust me if you work for performace and eat for it, your body will follow suit faster than working "to look good". Someone smarter than I said on here "Once you can do a sub 5 min Fran, you'll have the body that looks like it could do a sub 5 min Fran"
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

Don't worry about the time it takes to lose the weight. Here's a chart of my weightloss history since starting CrossFit. I'd only started measuring waist/BF (est) late last fall.

I wish I had been measuring my waist from the beginning, as it would have been my biggest indicator during the time when it was pretty much flat.

In the time between August and October, I had ordered a suit for my wedding. I went to the store in August to get measured. At the end of September I went back to pick it up and/or get some tailoring (if needed), and we had to put the August suit back on the self and get a brand new one a full size smaller! The new one didn't need any tailoring in the waist at the time of purchase. When I went back 2 weeks later, we had to take the waist in! At least I still had a week before the wedding!

My best advice is time and patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtlosschart.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	3573